Friday, January 1, 2010

The Beginning

Although I had been tossing around the idea of getting a second horse I wasn't really "shopping" when I came upon Roxy in August of 2008. When I first saw her she was listed by Columbia Basin Equine Rescue, waiting on a feedlot. She was waiting for either an adopter or for the day when she would ship to Canada to be slaughtered. Her sweet face drew me in along with her description.

"Flashay- 5-7 year old, 16hh flashy bay TB mare. Sport horse deluxe! She is built uphill, is a nice mover, is straight and clean legged. She tacked up quietly, was easy to work around and rode really nicely. This mare is beautiful and should be bound for the show ring."

My only other horse at the time, Roz, had gotten injured while competeting at our first recognized event. He was getting older and I was starting to get worried that I may push him too hard and end up breaking him more seriously. I offered to be a home for "Flashay" if money could be raised to "bail" her off the feedlot. A very generous donor stepped up and Flashay became mine. I renamed her "Roxy" shortly after getting her and the name stuck. After 30 days of quarantine Roxy arrived on September 19th.

Through out the last year we have gone on many adventures. From her first trail ride, the beach, schooling shows, cross country jumping and extreme trail. She has proved to be a willing partner with a lovely personality. I am often amazed that this mare was once slaughter bound. In August we found a great dressage trainer who believes in both of us. The progress we have made in the past 6 months has been amazing. We are currently preparing for our first real show season where we will be competing in dressage and hopefully some small events as well.


2 comments:

  1. She looks so good now :) Im so proud of our good horse picking skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your funny! I think we have both been very blessed with sweet horses.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!