Thursday, April 22, 2010

Change of Plans

It has been a while since I have posted. My foot is doing okay. The swelling has gone down quite a bit but there is a lot of bruising and soreness left.




On the recommendation of my trainer I had the vet out to check Roxy over. We wanted to make sure we are ruling out any pain that may be causing her explosive behavior. He spent close to an hour looking her over, doing flexion tests, watching her on the lunge line and finally watching her under saddle. She was very good the whole time and he commented on how nice she was to handle. He found her to be tense and twitchy when he was messing with her withers. Since she is generally a very nice horse he feels that she has something going wrong in her neck or withers. This makes sense because our problems all started when we really started asking her to work through her back consistently. His best guess is that she sustained an injury while on the track possibly flipping over in the starting gate or something similar that damaged that area. He offered to give us a referral to OSU for more extensive testing but at this point I really can't afford to do any more and even if they are able to diagnose exactly what is wrong I doubt there will be a good treatment option. Plans are in the works for what she is going to do now. I will update when we know more.


Still as pretty as ever

Also, Moose has something wrong with his leg, we are hoping that it is just cellulitis and will clear up with the antibiotics he is on. Roz is taking some funny steps and is going to get a few days off as well. These horses are killing me!

On the flip side, my good friend Tarra is going to let me borrow her horse Tolo to do a couple shows and to take him to his first recognized event!!! I am so excited.

Tolo and Tarra

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! That looks horrible.
    I'm so sorry about the mystery problems of Roxy's. That sucks! But, how exciting that you will get to work with Tolo! Keep us updated and get well soon.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!