Monday, February 28, 2011

Riding Again

I haven't gotten to ride much in the last week as I have been busy preparing for OHSET. I finally got to ride in a lesson tonight on Rainy. I am having so much fun! Things have gotten so much easier for me over the past couple of months. I started the night out walking her on a loose rein for a good 20 minutes. She worked very hard over the weekend so we wanted to really give her a chance to loosen up and relax. Once working we again practiced halting from the walk mostly off my seat, being able to relax my hand forward, keeping my legs on, and having her stand before asking her to walk off again. This was easier than it was the last time for us. We worked on spiraling in and out on a circle, bending around my inside leg with my outside leg back and an opening inside rein to bring her nose around. From there we moved to leg yielding which I struggled with a little bit because I wasn't riding her well enough through the corner. Once I got the turn set up better the leg yield was just fine. We did quite a bit of canter work, asking her to really lower her head and neck and to canter slowly. We worked some trot/canter transitions as well and those got much better for us as we continued. Rainy and I also did one flying lead change that was fun and went pretty smoothly. It is so fun to ride such a well schooled horse. As soon as I get something right I can really feel the difference in her and I love how responsive she is.

Now more than ever I really want to get to a point where I have a really good partner in my horse. I want to enjoy riding and be able to move to the next level with a horse that is willing to work with me. All of the horses I am currently riding are good workers and it makes them a pleasure to ride.

On another note we are down to 49 days until Roxy is due. She is getting so huge! She was stretching her legs in the arena tonight and her belly is enormous. I am looking forward to the next 2 months as she continues to grow and we get closer to "Baby Pants" being born.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!