Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Fantastic Lesson

I had a lesson tonight on a new horse named Cobie. I have know him since he was 3 (he's now 6) but have never ridden him. His owner is out of town for the week and offered him to me. Today was our first ride together and it went well. He was definitely unsure about me being on him at first and we joked that he wanted to call his mom to make sure I was allowed to ride. :) Once we got to work I was able to get him to settle down and work pretty well. We worked on all of the usual stuff; straightness, bending, getting him through, yielding to the leg etc. He was really good and is very much the kind of horse I like to ride in terms of being a forward sensitive ride. I am really starting to feel like my riding is coming along. At this point I have ridden most of the horses at our barn in a lesson and many of them I have only ridden once or twice, if at all before taking a lesson on them. I feel capable of getting on and riding reasonably well in a short period of time. I have also learned that really they (and I) all struggle with variations of the same problems. Some are easier, and some are harder but in many cases they are all very similar. I'm very glad I have had this opportunity and time of "horselessness" although I am certainly looking forward to having my own riding horse sometime in the near (ish) future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!