Monday, September 5, 2011

Cross Country Schooling

I love having Monday off work! It always seems like such an extra long weekend when you get Monday off. :) Tarra and I got up early-ish and headed out to Inavale to go cross country schooling. We are heading to an Eventing Derby next weekend and wanted to have everyone ready to go. Our first stop was the water, Roz wandered right in and got a drink and began splashing. Mystic took that as a good sign and went right in too! Obviously it's very important for an event horse that's willing to go in water! Roz has always been really easy about it and I am so glad. It looks like Mystic should be the same way.

After that we started warming up and found a nice log to jump. Roz refused it the first time but circled back and jumped it just fine. I then decided to do a down bank on him since I don't think I ever really have. Rumor has it the intro division at the show Erin is taking him to, has banks. I wanted to make sure that he had seen one recently. He wasn't thrilled about it and stood at the edge for a couple minutes. Mystic showed us how it was done twice, and Roz finally decided to follow along. We did the down bank twice and continued on to more logs. He got super strong which is his signature jumping style. He did refuse a couple more fences but by the end he was jumping reliably. 

I'm not sure why he is refusing but it seems like if he doesn't get out enough he loses confidence. He was VERY reliable when I was competing him and very very rarely did he stop at anything. He has always been a little weird about small fences so I'm not sure if that plays into it too. He tends to be a bit more of a babysitter with Erin so I am hoping that he will be a rockstar this weekend. We'll see how it goes. Thankfully even if he refuses you can give him a spanking and he will jump no questions asked the next time. :) Here are a few pictures of our day. Overall Roz was pretty good and I'm really glad I was able to get him out before the show. He is still feeling great soundness wise and he seems totally fine with the increase in workload with going back to jumping. Yah!

Chilling by the trailer while Mystic got his hair done

Cantering through the water

Running and jumping (his favorite)

Isn't Mystic adorable!? I love his front end. 

Rozzy hanging in the water

He was a happy camper

My Buddy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!