Sunday, October 16, 2011

Eventing Derby

This morning we went to Erin and Roz's third horse show. He was quite pushy and put out about heading to a show. We locked him in his paddock last night so he would stay sort of clean. He did stay mostly clean but he was super annoyed about the whole thing.  We braided him in purple this weekend and he turned out really cute! They were running almost an hour late, and we didn't know that until Erin was already on and starting her warm up. It actually worked out well because it gave them both some time to relax. They had a very respectable test and ended up with a 36, which is 4 points lower than their last show. There was a rush to get ready for cross country and Roz was being a wild child. I had brought along his slow twist full cheek snaffle so we ended up doing a quick bit change before they went out on course. Sadly they had 3 refusals (at 2 different fences) and were eliminated. Thankfully, they had a schooling round to use so she used it there. They had 1 sort of refusal in the schooling round but over all it was much better. 

I am really not sure what is going on. Roz NEVER stopped when I was actively competing him a few years ago. It was always a safe bet that he would go double clear cross country. I have decided to take him to a couple of hunter/jumper schooling shows or combined tests, so that I can give him some good rides and get them through this. If he continues to refuse then maybe he just doesn't want to jump anymore. I really don't think that is the case since he jumps great at home. I think it is a product of Erin getting anxious and not riding him as well in a show environment. We will continue to work and hopefully get them all set for next year. 
Braided pony

Forelock that Erin braided

Purple yarn

Aren't they cute?!

Tarra "cantering" a 20 meter circle while demonstrating Erin's test

The event was at a barn we hadn't been to before. It was a nice spot and I hope we can go back again next year to compete. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving the purple!! He looks adorable.

    I have left an award for you on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!