Sunday, December 25, 2011

Looking back at 2011


It’s that time of year when we look back at the past year to see how far we have come.  I feel like 2011 was a year of change for me. In January I sold Pie, and started a new job. Pie was sold to a wonderful lady who keeps me well updated on his progress. I’m so glad she ended up with him. My new job has been a blessing in my life and I am so glad that God put me there. I have met many great people and I enjoy going to work most days. The spring brought Tarra’s last OHSET season and my last season coaching (at least for now.) April brought the birth of Pants. That has been such a fun adventure and one I am so glad I have gotten to take part in. It has been so fun to watch him grow and I am looking forward to seeing how he turns out.

Rozzy Ridge turned 19 in March and came up lame one day while practicing for OHSET with Tarra. He ended up at the OSU Vet School in June. He was diagnosed with navicular changes in his right front foot and prescribed Nike shoes.  Since getting his new dancing shoes he has been doing well. He got to go back to work in July and we haven’t slowed down since then. I am beyond thrilled that the treatment worked and I again have a sound healthy horse.

In June Tarra and I attended the Eugene Auction, just to look. We were very good girls and didn’t come home with anything but our hope is to rescue a horse together this next year. Since Tarra still has Sky I’m not sure if that is realistic for this coming year but it is definitely in the back of my mind. There were several nice horses at the auction that went for less than $50. One horse in particular, a skinny grey thoroughbred gelding, sold for $10 bucks!

I rescued Miss Pretty in July and that was an interesting adventure as well. She went to a young lady in Salem and from what I have heard things are going well for them. This fall brought about the sale of Roxanne, which was hard but necessary. Thankfully she went to someone I have known for years and of course I keep track of what’s going on with her. She will be bred again in the next few months to either an Appaloosa or warmblood stallion.

This fall brought about the renewed search to find me a horse. I looked at a Haflinger mare in Oregon City, and three Welsh Cobs in Spokane. None of them struck me as the right fit so the search has continued. Tomorrow, Tarra and I are heading to see a Welsh Cob cross, located about an hour away from us.

My riding life has been interesting this year since I haven’t had one set horse to ride. Several very generous people at the barn where I ride have allowed me to ride their horses at one time or another this past year. Each horse teaches you something, and for me it was the realization that my bad habits carry across to any horse I ride. The level I am riding at has really changed from a very passive rider, to someone who is taking control over what is going on at all times during the ride.  It takes a lost more discipline and concentration but in the end you spend less time just “hoping” that you get something right, as you do have control over where you end up. I can’t wait to see where we end up in 2012. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!