Wednesday, August 15, 2012

HOT

We have been having some fairly hot weather for us recently. Compared to a lot of places it's really not that bad, but it's been in the 90's and I'm too much of a wimp to ride after work. Instead, I decided to get up before work to ride today. I was at the barn just a few minutes after 5am and went to grab Chevy. He wasn't sure what I was up to but was his sweet normal self. The arena was freshly manicured and we enjoyed a nice ride as the sun rose. We walked around for 5 minutes before I asked him to trot. For the FIRST time he trotted the first time I asked, and he didn't have to smack him. Yah! I think he's getting it. We again trotted around, establishing forward while riding on the quarter lines. He has made a lot of improvements over the last couple weeks. When I first got him, riding off the rail was very difficult. Now he is mostly responsive to me asking him to come off the rail and I am getting much better control of his left shoulder. We had a couple of poor canter transitions but I got after him and we had some of our nicer ones too. We practiced a few three loop serpentines and also practiced trotting down the center line. He was reasonably straight and our turn to the left was significantly better than it was last time I tried. I was off of him and heading towards home a little after 6am. I plan to ride before work the next two days. This weekend is the Willamette Country Music Festival so I will be busy with that, but I do plan to ride before heading out there in the afternoons. It should be a blast! We have our first cross country lesson on Monday and then our first horse show Saturday. He's going to be a busy pony!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!