Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Polishing

We now have 2 more rides before our horse show on Saturday. Chevy was excellent tonight. He is becoming much more responsive to my leg and our transitions and steering are really improving. At this point I am just trying to get everything polished up to ride training level test 1 & 2 this weekend. We practiced our first test all the way through once and then I practiced several elements as we schooled. His turn on to the center line from either direction has improved a lot. Have to be really careful to not rely too much on my inside rein. He takes advantage of that any chance he gets! That's a great reminder and makes me be that much better at keeping him on my outside rein. After our crooked halt (those need lots of work) I asked him to walk on and then trot. When asked to trot he threw his head up in the air and was totally resistant. I gave a him a few sharp whacks with my whip and after kicking out, he popped in to the trot. We came down the center line and tried again. Wouldn't you know he trotted right off when asked! We schooled several more trot, walk, halt, walk, trot transitions and he was quite prompt with the up transitions. His canter transitions are also becoming much more reliable and he isn't breaking gait nearly as often as when I first got him. We worked on our medium walk, to free walk, and back to medium walk. I think we will lose a few points there.. We also practiced our stretchy trot circles. We should for sure get some stretch but I'm not sure if we will be able to keep it for the whole circle. We'll see. I was quite pleased with how good he was tonight. Hopefully we can keep it up!

I got my very own tipperary vest today! I bought it online from someone last week and it came in the mail today. It fits great and is in very good condition. I can't wait to wear it at my next lesson!

3 comments:

  1. It will be fun to be the camera women this time :) And yes, now we can get to eventing! Who woulda thought we would ever be here?!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!