Thursday, October 4, 2012

Home Sweet Home

I got to go home last night! It was so nice to sleep in my very own bed last night and I slept very well. All of the doctors were really impressed with how well I am doing. I guess they didn't expect that. I got a nerve block in 3 different spots in my back before surgery, and this is something new that they have been recommending. They really think it helps patients as it stops the pain before it even has a chance to start. My pain has been controlled on a fairly low dose of pain medication so that has been really nice. I also think that normally they do mastectomy's on older women which is probably even harder on them than it was on me. The physicians assistant agreed with me, that often the older women have other medical problems, where I am completely healthy. The next big hurdle is waiting for the pathology report to come back. My tumor was really close to my pectoral muscle with a very thin layer of fat separating it from the muscle. It wasn't attached to the muscle or anything like that, but there is a chance the cancer cells extended into the muscle. We are praying that is not the case and that margins will come back clear.

1 comment:

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!