Thursday, November 1, 2012

Heart Check

I had an ultrasound of my heart today so that they have a baseline before starting chemo.  It was a pretty interesting to watch my heart work. The first question I was asked was "so you have a family history of breast cancer?" When I replied that I'm the first, he said I should have bought a lottery ticket! We chatted about my job, and his 4 year old dog that uses an inhaler. He was impressed with my positive attitude and said from what he sees the people who stay happy are the ones that do the best. We both agreed that there is always someone going through something worse than what you are, and everyone has something they have to deal with.  We discussed how truly amazing your body is, and all of the functions it regulates with out you ever having to think about it. How crazy is that!? The ultrasound was a bit uncomfortable as one of the views he needed required him to press all along my surgery scar. He kept telling me to let him know if it hurt. Of course it was hurting but you've got to do what you've got to do. He said that women always have a much higher pain tolerance than the men that they see. Haha. It sounds like I will be going back part way through my chemo, for a recheck.

I have been so impressed with all of the doctors, nurses and support staff that have been taking care of me this two months. I have easily gotten appointments and procedures scheduled. Apparently when you are diagnosed with cancer you skip to the front of the line! It's amazing to me the servant's heart that so many of the people in the medical field display. I'm so thankful for all of those people. Talk about a customer service job! That's dealing with people at their worst, I'm sure.

I joined Curves this month and just started working out the past 2 days. I'm hoping to really get going with it before my chemo starts. I was super happy with how well I was able to do everything on day one. There was only one piece of equipment that my left arm wasn't ready to do. I really hope that my surgery tomorrow doesn't set me back too much.

I rode Mystic last night, while Tarra rode Chevy, and we did the same thing tonight, although I only walked on Mystic. Both of my ponies get there feet done tomorrow before my surgery. I'm pretty convinced now that Roz just has a false sole trying to come out of his right front. I will take some photos tomorrow before the farrier takes care of it.

3 comments:

  1. Thats great that the medical staff you will be dealing with are all there for you. Stay motivated and stay positive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update post! You are so positive and it is really interesting to read about the process too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eek! I had to have an ultrasound on my heart 4 or 5 years ago. It was so painful; I thought they were going to break my ribs trying to get in there to get a picture. And that was without a recent surgery!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!