Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Chemo #3 (and #4)

I've made it through chemo #3 on December 26th, and tomorrow is chemo #4. This marks the half way point and the completion of the A/C phase of chemo. For #5-#8 I will be getting a drug called Taxol. It's supposed to be easier than the drugs that I am currently getting and should not cause the nausea that has been so difficult. 

I never really talked about chemo #3 because right after I get a chemo treatment just thinking about it makes me feel sick. It's amazing what a powerful tool your mind is! The smells of the chemo room make me feel yucky too. I commented on the smell last time and both my mom and my friend said they don't smell anything. It smells like alcohol and I don't know what else. Using hand sanitizer for at least the first week after chemo grosses me out because of the alcohol smell. It's crazy. I also am supposed to have something cold in my mouth when they administer one of the drugs. The first time I sucked on an otter pop. The last two times I have chewed on ice, but now even the thought of it makes me queasy. So tomorrow I've ordered a vanilla milkshake. :) The worst part about the whole thing is actually the flush they use when setting an IV line in my port. As they flush the line I get a metallic taste in my mouth. They have to do this a few times during the course of my chemo day and just thinking about it afterwards can make me gag. Yuck!

Usually the first week after chemo I can hardly think about having to do it again, it seems very overwhelming. When I get to the point where I'm at now (the end of 2 weeks), I'm feeling normal again and although I dread going through it again I at least feel able to do it. I'm really hopeful that the final 4 treatments will be easier.

Overall round #3 wasn't too bad for me. I work a few hours in the morning before going to chemo, and then work 2 half days to finish off the week. That lets me take a nap in the afternoon before going to bed around 7pm. By Sunday I am done taking all of the medications that I have to take post chemo and by Monday I go back to work full time. I'm normally fairly tired my first couple of full days at work but as the week goes on I improve. My appetite normally returns around day 5 or 6 and then things really start getting better.

A lady from church made me an awesome paper chain to count down the weeks on. After tomorrow I am down to my final 8 weeks! 8 weeks until my final chemo treatment and a happy healthy life. I can't wait!!!
Round 1
Tarra and I,  Round 2
Kellie and I,  Round 3

3 comments:

  1. You are such a trooper and inspiration. I'm looking forward for your chemo being done too so you can live a happy healthy life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soo inspiring, I can't wait for you to live a happy and healthy life and also for you to be done with the chemo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be so relieved to reach the end of the part of treatment. You are a brave soul.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!