Sunday, January 20, 2013

Feeling His Oats

I rode Chevy today and he felt great! He met me at the gate (as usual) and seemed happy to get tacked up. We had walked about half way around the arena before he spooked, at nothing. I picked my reins up and started putting him to work. He was balky when I asked him to trot but one hard tap with the dressage whip and we were off. He normally warms up slow but he trotted forward right from the start. I don't want to do a lot of circles on him right away so I was taking him all the way around the arena. He got lots of half halts and I ended up working on a lot of transitions to get him to settle in and pay attention. I opted to do his cantering on the lunge line since he felt ready to explode given the opportunity. He was actually better behaved on the lunge line than I expected. After cantering both directions I hopped back on to cool him out. He felt more settled and had quit looking for something to spook at. He's normally very laid back and not at all spooky...but how can you blame him when it's 30 degrees outside and he hasn't been ridden in almost a month? He felt sound to me and was bouncing right along. It will be interesting to see how he feels tomorrow. I kept our work out fairly light, about 25 minutes. Once finished I washed his tail and his socks. He thoroughly enjoyed the attention.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you got to ride :D sounds like it was so much fun, can't wait to hear how he goes tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all the horses are fired up with this weather. Bre let herself out of the stall yesterday and ran around like a two year old, steady Josey has been pushy and sassy, and Dickie has been pulling my arm out of the socket.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!