Saturday, January 19, 2013

Happy and Healthy

Well round #4 took WAY too long for me to recover from, but I'm finally back to "normal." Thursday was my first day of feeling good again, and then I had Friday off work. I slept in a little bit, and then took Annie in to town for a bath. We have a self service dog wash that I enjoy taking her to. It was nice a quiet and I spent quite a while cleaning her up, blowing her dry, and brushing her out. She looks gorgeous right now. It was her first time riding in my new hatchback car. In my previous cars she has always ridden on the floor in the passenger side. I wasn't sure if she would try to jump over the back seat to get closer to me but she was perfect. She whined and put her foot up on the seat when I first got in the car but I just old her "no" and she was fine. After her bath I stopped at Curves to work out and left her sleeping in the car. I had one of the best works outs I have had in the last couple of weeks. It's amazing how much easier it is to work out when you have energy! 


I checked Chevy yesterday afternoon and he is much better! I'm going to start riding him again tomorrow. He's moving naturally with that hock and looked great on the lunge line. I'm planning to put him lightly back to work over the next week and hopefully we will be all set. I'm planning to take him to a dressage clinic on March 16th if everything is fine. I was initially planning to take him to a dressage show in March but the one I want to go to is just a few days after my final chemo treatment. I could do it if I needed to but would be easier for me if it were later in the month. Then I got news of this clinic opportunity and I think it will be more beneficial for us anyway. We will clinic in March and then plan to show in April. 

After checking Chevy I came home and rode Roz. He's so dirty and hairy right now! It's a never ending project to keep clean so I mostly don't worry about it. Thankfully, it's been dry here for the last couple of weeks so when I clean him up it actually does last better than normal. With riding him again I'm beginning to regret roaching his mane. It's starting to grow back but it's not growing as quickly as I expect it to, and I miss having mane to grab when riding him bareback. I hopped on him from the edge of our horse trailer and had to make a bit of a leap to get on him as he hadn't stopped that close. I made it just fine but I miss that little extra security of a mane to grab! 

I have decided that he is almost getting fat! It's really a great problem to be having the middle of winter, with a 20 year old horse. He came in to the winter slightly thin, and I ended up switching him to an active senior grain. I'm glad I made the change because I feel like it has really helped him put on weight. I'm going to cut his grain back slightly and re-evaluate in a couple of weeks. Also, I turned him out on pasture today since the ground is dry/frozen. He actually trotted around a little bit and looked so good! I haven't really had a good chance to see him trot for a while but if I didn't know better I would say he was sound. Yah for happy, healthy ponies (and humans)! 


7 comments:

  1. Is your next treatment your last one? I'm glad you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish. I'm half way....4 more to go. This next round I get a different chemo drug, which is supposed to be easier. We'll see!

      Delete
    2. Oh I hope it is easier for you. :)

      Delete
  2. You look fantastic on Roz!! I hope Bre looks that great at 20. She turns 16 this year and didn't look too shaby when I took the blanket off last night. I hope you enjoy your clinic. Clinics are my fave. I can't wait until the baby is going well enough for clinics. Maybe next summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's hard to believe he will be turning 21 in March. He's a nice small, compact TB so I hope that he still has many years left with me.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on hitting the halfway mark! Roz looks so good for 20, I'd think he was much younger just looking at him. I haven't been brave enough to do the self-clean dog wash with my Husky, but probably should. He just goes for a bath and brush twice a year when he's blowing his coat, but it'd be a cost savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It feels great to be past the half way point now. This is definitely the hardest thing I have ever done. I think Roz looks good too. He's been such a wonderful horse for me.

      My dog Annie has a lot of hair (not as much as a husky) but I enjoy the process. I like to go when I have plenty of time so I can do a good job and not feel rushed. It helps that aside from the actual bathing part she loves the towel and blow drying along with riding in the car. :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!