Tuesday, January 1, 2013

On Hold

It was an absolutely perfect New Years Day. It was quite cold but I don't mind since we actually got to see the sun. Rozzy Ridge got to go out on the pasture for the first time in a couple of months. We've had quite a bit of rain and we are trying to keep the pasture from getting torn up. Horses are so destructive with out even trying. We also have sheep, and they are on the pastures all year but their little hooves just don't destroy the ground like the horses do.

Leaping for joy in the pasture
Isn't he a handsome dude!?
Paddi and Annie keeping an eye on the wild horse
Things are currently "on hold" around here. Chevy got in a kicking match with another horse on Christmas Eve and he hurt himself. At first his pasterns on both hind legs were swollen, although the right leg was worse. Now his pasterns look fine but his left hock is swollen and I won't be surprised if he ends up with a capped hock. This is very poor timing on his part as I have him listed for sale. He's not going to be the eventing horse that I want him to be with out a lot of time and training and he's really too lazy for my taste. It's disappointing since I was really hoping to have a nice horse to show and ride in the next few years but I also feel like the timing is right for me to save up some money and purchase the welsh cob I have been dreaming about. I've mentioned before that I really want a baby out of North Forks Cardi and that's what I plan to get. I'd love to get one that is going under saddle but realistically there is no way that I can afford that. Plus, I like the idea of raising and starting him myself. It just means that I won't have a real riding horse for a while. I'm lucky to still have Roz to play on, and I'm counting on him teach the baby. This gelding recently came up for sale and if I had 35k laying around I would totally go buy him! He's a half brother to Cardi and is so cute. My absolute dream horse is a bay with 4 white socks and a blaze. I've never had one but someday I might....

I'd love to find Chevy a great dressage, trails, all around kind of home. He's not a bad horse by any means. He's easy to have around, loves to hang out, meets me at the gate 90% of the time etc. He's just under motivated for the riding that I want to do, and will need a very consistent rider to teach him to jump nicely.

6 comments:

  1. I bet you will be able to find Chevy a good home. Most people are looking for a horse that is on the lazier side. He sounds talented so you might be able to find someone middle aged who is looking for talent but not so much spunk.

    I think getting a baby is a great idea! They are so much fun. I bet something will come up for you to ride while you are waiting for the youngster to grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you will be able to find Chevy good home, i to like a horse that is more active than lazy.

    Getting a baby of the horse you wants sounds a great idea to me, then you can have it bought up how you want it to be and you'll know its past!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chevy may not be the horse for you, but the safe, under motivated dressage horse is never hard to sell. ;) Best of luck moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHMYGOSH I am totally coming to visit you in a non-Internet stalker sort of way if you get a Cardi baby. Connor's breeder got to meet him when he stayed the night in Indiana a couple of years ago, and I didn't get to. The foals I've seen so far are magnificent, especially the Cob/WB crosses if you're into a nice, compact, powerful sport horse. I'm still partial to the full Cobs, but that's just me. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can visit me in Oregon any time! :) I've seen Cardi perform at Devonwood. He is amazing. I really want a full cob although Cardi has been crossed on a lot of WB and they are lovely as well. We'll see what I end up with.

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!