Saturday, February 2, 2013

Crazy Beach Ride

Tarra and I have taken horses to the beach before but never had such a crazy ride as we did today. The weather was absolutely perfect, which is especially amazing for the Oregon coast in February. We got the boys tacked up and headed out on the beach. Chevy hasn't ever been there before and was a bit cautious but took it all in well. We walked along on the wet sand a ways before asking them to get in the water. Once Mystic got in Chevy was pretty happy to stick close to him and they were being great. We continued walking down the beach keeping the horses in the water as we went. The foam is definitely the "scariest" part of the wave and the horses were being a bit jumpy about it as it went by their feet. We saw a larger wave coming in towards us and started trotting out of the water but we weren't fast enough. The bigger foamy wave caught up to us and as it passed by the horses Chevy spun around and started lunging straight in to the ocean! I think he must have gotten disoriented and figured if he couldn't get out heading for the sand he would go the other way. He got in up to his belly before I was able to get him turned around. I've heard stories of horses getting freaked out and swimming out in the ocean. If he had kept going I definitely would have bailed!

As it was, while Chevy and I were trying to swim across the ocean Mystic had lost his footing and fallen down! Tarra was in the water with one foot caught up in his stirrup and Mystic was thrashing around. By the time I got Chevy turned around and heading in the right direction Tarra had gotten free and Mystic had gotten up. He went trotting out of the water and Chevy whinnied and was prancing through the water. I was afraid that Chevy was going to take off after Mystic and decided it was time for me to get off my freaked out horse  while I had him mostly contained. I'm not exactly sure what happened but for some reason my feet didn't hit the ground right. We were still in about a foot of water and I wiped out on the landing! I came up soaking wet and covered in sand while Mystic and Chevy went galloping off down the beach. Tarra and I both came out of the water cracking up and walked down the beach to find out horses.

Thankfully there weren't a lot of people on the beach so no one was in their path to get run over (or to catch them). They basically just stopped at the end of the beach and a couple of people were looking at them and petting them. Chevy was circling for a place to roll and I started running over to him since I didn't want my saddle to get trashed. Finally one of them grabbed a hold of Chevy and by the time we got to them they were telling us how sweet and gentle both boys were. We took inventory to be sure both horses seemed fine and led them back down to the water to make sure they got in it again. We then hopped back on to walk around a little bit before heading back to the trailer. We were both sopping wet and covered in sand so we weren't too interested in spending a lot more time riding. I'm just thankful we are all okay. The boys really were good, we just got surprised by that wave being so big and then a series of unfortunate events caused us to all get separated. Talk about a crazy day. I know I will for sure bring a change of clothes next time. I did not enjoy driving home in soaking wet, sandy breeches!

On the way home Tarra and I discussed the fact that a year or two ago our hearts would have been racing during the whole ordeal but neither of us really felt freaked out about it. We were really just busy figuring out what we needed to do to get out of there in one piece. I can't decide if we are getting more brave or stupid! :)

One of only 2 photos that I took today. It does prove what a gorgeous day it was over there. Both my phone and camera went swimming with me. Thankfully they are working just fine!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so scary! I've never ridden on a beach before, I never considered the fact that they could get disoriented and run the wrong way, but it makes a lot of sense, since they didn't evolve in coastal areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah....riding in the waves is really weird because it makes you feel like you are moving side to side even though you are trying to ride in a straight line down the beach! It's really a blast.

      Delete
  2. Scary experience but still I'm kinda jealous! I've never been beach riding, sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a ton of fun!!! This was definitely a crazy experience but of all the trips we have taken over there this is the only time someone has come off or that we have almost drowned. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow. Glad it ended well. I really want to ride on the beach with Houston but I am not sure what he would do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've taken 4 different OTTB's over there and they have all been good. If I'm not sure I just start on the ground with them. One mare I lunged for a bit before hopping on. I always make sure I have a nice quiet, confident horse to accompany us as well. I bet he would be fine!

      Delete
  4. I think it is safe to say both brave and stupid haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW that sounds scary, you guys did well not to panic if it was me I probably would have, So glad that it ended okay though and that no one was hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adventure. It is funny that sometimes the biggest distasters end up making the best memories. You will never forget this trip. You two will laugh til you cry about it until you are old ladies.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!