Sunday, April 21, 2013

Fly Control

With this lovely spring weather comes flies and I'm trying something new this year. Yesterday I ordered Roz SmartBug-Off Pellets and a new fly mask.  Normally I would use fly spray, even though it doesn't seem to work very well. Since my cancer diagnosis I've been more sensitive about the use of chemicals. Although I'm sure that fly spray didn't cause my cancer, any way that I can limit my exposure to potentially harmful stuff, I'm going to. I still plan to use Repel-X lotion and Swat ointment (with gloves of course), in front of his sheath, where he gets the most bites. I'm really interested to see if the SmartBug-Off helps. How do you fight the flies?

5 comments:

  1. We use the fly predators, which has cut down considerably on the number of flies on the place. The horses get fly masks during turn-out, and those that need it get roll-on repellent in their ears. We only use fly spray on trail rides when the bugs – namely deer and horse flies and yellow jackets - are bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The barn where I board (when I have a riding horse) has used fly predators that last few years. They definitely do seem to help.

      Delete
  2. Fly mask, Ultrashield Sport and fly sheet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've considered a fly sheet but I feel like they would get hot in them.

      Delete
  3. I am a Repel-X fan, but might be getting Simon some fly boots and maybe a fly sheet this year. The only place he's really bothered by them are his front legs.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!