Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Sore Stifles

For the second time, Roz has come home from a long ride with sore stifles. He came off the trailer just fine on Saturday (after about 2 hours on it) and my dad said he saw him trot in from the pasture two times later that day. But by Sunday morning you could definitely see that he was sore in his stifles. I contacted my vet yesterday and we are going to try adequan injections for him. I'm also going to try to get him in a more consistent riding program. My goal is to be lightly riding him 4 days per week. At least two of those days we are going to haul up to NDF for some arena work. The other two days I will probably just ride him around our farm, and down the road. My hope is that the adequan will help him feel better and the increase in riding will help him build up some better conditioning and muscle support for that area. We'll see. There are some things about having an old horse that I love, but arthritis/lameness is not one of them. I'd love for him to be 11 again! Oh well, I'm truely thankful to have had him in my life and hope we can get him a little more comfortable and hopefully back to work!

4 comments:

  1. Poor Roz, hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! I don't like seeing him hurting.

      Delete
  2. Stifles are a booger. I hope the Adequan helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Roz. Let us know how the Adequan does for him.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!