Thursday, July 4, 2013

Back at It

I took Roz up to NDF to start getting him back in shape. He was still in the barn and I went in with a handful of cookies and his halter. He took one cookie and took off. Check him out!  Silly boy.

After I got him caught, we loaded up and stopped by Tarra's house to pick up Tolo. Tolo and Roz were good buddies years ago. Tarra was starting Tolo when we first met and I was eventing Roz. We ponied Tolo several places and he gained a lot of confidence from Roz. When we pulled them out of the trailer at NDF they greeted each other like old friends. It was very neat.

We walked around the recently hayed fields for about 20 minutes, and then spent 10 minutes in the arena doing a little bit of trotting and cantering. He felt quite good, other than a little stiff/crooked cantering right. My goal is to get him working lightly a few days a week, to help him build some good muscles and just to keep him healthy. We'll see how that goes this winter, when I have Emi too. Lucky for me I'm able to haul him up to NDF anytime, and it's less than a 10 minute drive up there. We have a truck and trailer, and he's a great traveler, so it's really easy. My plan is to ride him Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday. A may potentially hop on him one or two other days for an easy ride around our farm.


Last night we put hay in the barn, and today I went to Wilco and purchased his grain as it was on sale, buy 3 get 1 free. He wont' be running out of food any time soon.
Watching us unload his hay last night
Meeting Finley for the first time

3 comments:

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!