Friday, August 30, 2013

One Year

A year ago today, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I got the call at work and went back inside crying. The outpouring of love and support I received that day was overwhelming. I cried most of the night before going to bed exhausted. The next morning Tarra and I spent at the beach with two of the best boys around. There's nothing like equine therapy.

At times the year was very challenging, and seemed to be dragging, and yet here I am a year later and it seems like a distant bad memory. It was tough going through countless tests, 3 surgeries, 8 rounds of chemo and losing my hair. Amid all of the struggle and pain, I found out that I have so many friends and people rooting for me. Friends and even some people I don't know, sent me words of encouragement, flowers, hats, chemo bags, blankets, scarves, and the list goes on and on. I feel blessed to have a great team of doctors, and nurses caring for me, and such a huge support crew. I'd like to thank everyone who encouraged me in some way. You made a difference in my life. Some days were very hard, but I made it through and I can honestly say I appreciate each day more now, than I ever have before.
Final chemo treatment
The questions becomes, where do I go from here? One thing I can't do is worry about the cancer coming back. It may or may not. I choose to think that it won't, but in the end it's outside of my control. I've made a lot of lifestyle changes, although I would have told you I was pretty healthy before. I no longer drink from plastic water bottles. I definitely eat a lot more vegetables than I ever used to. Many of them are great cancer fighting foods! I consume less sugar, less pop, and far less processed foods as a whole. I'm also using a lot less chemicals by using different shampoo, conditioner, lotions etc.

I don't know why this happened to me but bad things happen to good people all of the time. I still believe that God is God, and that he cares for me.

Luke 12:4 "I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear; Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him. Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."

10 comments:

  1. What an incredible post and a trying year. Congratulations on the anniversary! You have so much to look forward to in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen. It was definitely a difficult year but I really do have so much to look forward to. I'm excited to see where I end up with Emi and I'm so thankful for her.

      Delete
  2. You are an incredible inspiration and fighter! All of us can learn so much from you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes there isn't anything you can do but get through it. That's all I did.

      Delete
  3. You have such a great outlook on life and a great attitude, we can all learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'm deserving of the praise but thank you. I do my best.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on getting through something that can be soul breaking and coming out the other side stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I'm so glad I'm through the worst. At this point there is still a decent amount of follow up things to do but nothing so bad as surgeries and chemo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, you are an inspiration – by fighting, changing, adjusting, riding, and keeping your faith in God's loving care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so inspiring! You have staying so strong and positive through this whole thing - its very admiring.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!