Sunday, September 15, 2013

7 Weeks to Go

I love the weekend! It's so nice to get to make your own plans and use your time as you want. I set off yesterday morning to visit Emi. I hit the interstate and quickly realized that there was a flaw with my plan....there was a college football game going on in Eugene, very near where Emi lives. Oops! It never even crossed my mind! We live in a college town too, but I knew our team was playing away from home. I will have to keep both team's schedule in mind from here on out. Traffic was moving at about 40mph for a while before it became a complete parking lot. I was concerned that their may have been a car accident but never saw anything. I think it was just too many people going to one place. Once we got through Eugene it was smooth sailing. 

Emi was awesome! She was back to her friendly self. She absolutely loves having her withers scratched! I always come away with two very dirty hands. I'm looking forward to lots of good grooming sessions with her as I think she will love it. I grab a brush and brushed out some more of her baby coat. Her little mane is wild, flopping on both sides of her neck, although more to the left than to the right. It will be interesting to see if I can train it over to the right side. I think our hair actually looks pretty similar. It's got a mind of it's own. Haha. She was the easiest she has ever been to halter. I was happy to see that and think it won't take long before it's no problem at all.
Crazy hair flopping on both sides
Prancing around
Running with mom
Checking out the flag we were using
Her hocks are turning black
Giving the "baby mouth" to a yearling

I'm so excited to get her home soon! We've got about 7 weeks to go. We definitely still have some things to get ready before she comes. I better get on it! 

Today, I lunged Roz and rode Tarra's horse, Tolo. She's out of town for the week so I have Roz, Tolo and Mystic to ride all week. It should be fun! Roz was pretty energetic but we did get some nice work. I'm trying to get on a real schedule with him. My plan is to ride him Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday. My mom and I are going to be taking an exercise class on Monday/Wednesday so I think riding after work on Tuesday/Thursday should work out well. I'm not looking forward to the shorter days and the rain starting up, but hopefully I can keep him working all through the winter. 

Roz got his hooves trimmed on Friday.  September marks a year since he has been barefoot. He's done better than I expected, and I almost wish we would have done that sooner. It's nice to not have to worry about pulled shoes, and of course it's cheaper. That certainly doesn't hurt my feelings but more than that, it's fantastic to see him moving around more comfortably barefoot than he was with his shoes on. It's a win all the way around. 

8 comments:

  1. 7 weeks? Time is flying. :) Pretty exciting times for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I can hardly believe it's gone by so fast!

      Delete
  2. Can't believe Emmi comes home that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't get over how cute she is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thanks! I think most baby things are cute, and really a baby cob is hard to beat.

      Delete
  4. Oh MAN she is going to be nice. Tame that mane, friend, never even give that sucker a chance to get out of control! Haha. Says the girl who has spent all summer trying to tame a crazy Cob mane that was the result of pulling it way too short in 2012...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. We are going to work on it. I'd really prefer it fall nicely to the right. We'll see how successful that is. Then I have to decide if she gets to have a cute short sporty mane or a longer more cob mane.

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!