Thursday, September 19, 2013

Parasites

It's been 5 months since Roz's last fecal. After deworming him with Quest, I ran a recheck on him and he was clear. After sharing that information with my vet they said to wait 5 months before checking him again, as Quest can have some residual effect. We've made it to 5 months so I took a sample in to work with me on Wednesday. That's a definite perk of working at a Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory. I got his report by the afternoon and his strongyle load was high again at 1525 ova per gram. Ugh! I was definitely frustrated with that result. From looking at him you would never guess he was loaded with parasites. Poor pony! 

I spoke with the vet again and they recommended I deworm him with Quest again as it was effective last time. We will recheck him again in 3 months and see where he is at. Our goal is to deworm him when he gets in the range of 300-500 ova per gram. According to the vet, research has shown that 20% of horses carry 80% of the parasites. I just happen to have one of those 20%. Haha. I'm sure another part of the problem is that he's on a fairly small piece of property so he's just grazing too close to manure. I know once Emi comes we will really have to stay on top of the parasite issue. They always say the young and old are most susceptible, and I will have both! 

My cute parasite filled pony, before our ride today.
Handsome as ever
Anyway, he got dewormed with Quest again tonight and I will mark on my calendar to recheck mid December. 

6 comments:

  1. Why not use a daily dewormer, rather than ride the rollercoaster of worm load? That's what we've used for over 20 years with very good results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did ask about that as a treatment option. We'll see. :)

      Delete
  2. Seems like there are just some places that are more prone to them. In my area, that's what is seems like anyways. Nice that you can run the tests yourself and get results so fast though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take the same approach; I do not de-worm unless I have a fecal done. Feed through dewormers and people who deworm just for the heck of it contribute to resistance, soooo I try to be good and check every season, and then give her whatever she needs instead of guessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do like knowing what I'm treating for, rather than doing it randomly!

      Delete
  4. As we see it, using the daily wormer is a little like using vaccinations. Rather than treating the horse once it gets sick (or wormy), you are preventing the illness (or worm infestation) to begin with. Each heavy worm infestation causes some permanent damage to the gut, which accumulates over time, not to mention the money you waste by feeding worms as well as your horse. My husband has been recommending (and using) the daily anthelmintics since they first came out, and has seen no evidence of resistance - not that there isn't any, but it doesn't seem to be a big issue.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!