Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Woo Hoo!

I woke up today ready to have a good day. For those of you that know me, I pretty much always have a good day but today was special. Today marks a year since my mastectomy and in my opinion, a year of being cancer free. I cannot believe that a year has already passed since that time. I remember the day so clearly, the uncertainty and stress. Thankfully I made it through surgery and recovered fairly easily. It wasn't with out it's trouble but most things in life aren't. For anyone who is going through a tough time, remember that you will get through it. When you are in the middle of a hard time it seems to go by so slow and then before you know it you are looking back, and it feels like a distant memory.

Last Friday I was scheduled for a mammogram. I had one last year, while being diagnosed and told my mom it wasn't any big deal. This time definitely was more uncomfortable to me. I think I must have been distracted the first time around! Lucky for me they only have to do one side so I had half as much pain as some people. The nurse stressed to me that I would get results in a letter, and then today I received a call from my oncologist office. They left me a voicemail just stating that I needed to call them for results. My heart was racing as I called them back, even as I was telling myself "I'm sure they are fine."Thankfully the answer was yes, the results were negative. What a great feeling! I'm all good for another year, unless I were to find a lump or something.

 I've recently started injections for ovary suppression, as my cancer was fueled by estrogen. I got the first one about 3 weeks ago and everything seems to be going well. There was a long list of possible side effects but the biggest one is hot flashes. I had hot flashes during chemo and I hated them! I did have slight hot flashes the first week after, but nothing too bad. I'm so thankful!

Also, since it's breast cancer awareness month, let me put in a plug for all of you young women out there, to do your self breast exams. If I had been doing mine I'm certain I would have caught my cancer sooner. By the time I did find it it was already 2.5cm. And when they recommend mammograms get them done. 1 in 8 women get breast cancer, and that's a huge number. Plus, as you already know, you don't have to be old to get it. I do not meet any risk factors for breast cancer and yet I still got it. The great news is that they have a lot of tools to treat breast cancer.

On a horsey note, I ordered Roz a new turn out sheet, after discovering his was leaking. I got 10% off using a coupon at Victory Canter. I ordered it Friday night and received it today. Talk about fast! That was just regular shipping too.
In his dirty old blanket last night
His new one tonight
We had a really good ride last night. I changed his bit again to a D ring snaffle and I feel like he liked it. It will be interesting to see how he goes tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. Praising God for another year with you! Love you baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a timely post for me. A friend of mine just had a masectomy two days ago. She isn't even 30 years old yet. She has a young son and is happily married...and I really can't believe this is all happening. Thanks for the positivity in this post; your success story brings hope even to those of us who haven't personally had cancer but may know others going through what you went through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, I totally understand how hard it is to believe what's going on. Feel free to pass on my blog or email address (mcpartlina@gmail.com) to your friend. I'd love to talk to her if she has any questions or just wants to talk.

      Delete
  3. It is definitely great to hear such an uplifting post -- congratulations :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) So happy for you and Roz and even little Emi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you are enjoying great health now :) I need to do the self checks because I probably do have some of the risk factors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And it's SO much better to catch it early and deal with it than ignore the possibility.

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!