Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Honeymoon Phase

We may be going through a honeymoon phase...but Emi is one of the nicest babies I've ever worked with. I actually don't have a lot of baby experience, but she is already easier to work with than many of the horses that I've owned.
She has the most kissable nose!

She was super good to have her hooves picked tonight. I almost felt like I had a grown up horse! She's doing much better with her fronts and not only was I able to pick them but I also brushed them off with the brush on the hoof pick.  Her hind legs are totally easier than her fronts, which I didn't expect. I'd say we are well on our way to completing our November hoof picking goal. One fun thing about a young horse, is how easy it is to see progress. It's very rewarding. 

After picking her feet I let her eat her hay while I groomed her. She's not at all ticklish and seems to like being groomed. Roz definitely does not enjoy grooming and is constantly giving me dirty looks. Emi doesn't seem to have a care in the world while I'm grooming her. I pulled out my detangler and sprayed her tail and bum. No problems there. I even sprayed her forelock a few days ago, with no issues. I don't know if she will stay this easy, but I sure hope so! 

16 comments:

  1. It's great you're getting all these things out on the table for her to experience while she's still small and easy to handle :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's so nice that she is still small.

      Delete
  2. The honeymoon phase is the best! Hope it lasts years and years for you and Emi!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally going to sound like a broken record, but that's a Welsh Cob baby for you. I wouldn't worry about it being a honeymoon period - she'll have her moments for sure, but overall, they are the easiest, kindest, smartest, most trusting babies. I'm no baby expert, but I've worked with Thoroughbred babies and Mustang babies and been around Warmblood babies in the past, and I've done things with the Welsh Cob babies that I expected them to be afraid of and they just took it in stride. They are such a fun, and game, breed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to wonder why everyone doesn't own a welsh cob!? :) I definitelly expect to have some hard days with her but in general I'm just so impressed.

      Delete
  4. Love the honeymoon phase. Honeymoon forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think when she's an adult she'll be one of the most well adjusted adult horses you'll ever meet lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so! I've just got to do things right for her. :)

      Delete
  6. Ah I love that it's going so well! She loves her mommy!

    You are going to have one awesome mare when she grows up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chrome was the same way! When he was a weanling, every single day, twice a day, while I fed him I groomed him and cleaned out his hooves. Best training I ever put into him. :D He still loves to be groomed. It sounds like Emi is going to be just as laid back and sweet about everything as my boy was/is. :D Oh and I LOVE her perfect diamond shaped snip. A star/snip combo is my absolute favorite markings on a horse, so I love her itty bitty star too. So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is wonderful and certainly speaks to her breeders not only to create such a wonderful horse by breeding her that way but also with the handling they did from an early age.

    And of course all of the handling you have done since she was born :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Good breeding and a very experienced handler definitely have made a difference. Now I just have to keep it going.

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!