Thursday, November 7, 2013

Laying Down

Tonight I caught Miss Em and started picking her feet. I did her left front and moved on to the right front. She picks all of her feet up easily, she just isn't very good at standing on three legs. As I was picking her right front she started going down onto her knee. Of course I'm not going to just let it go when she does that. All of the sudden she crashed to the ground! Oops!

I've always thought I'd like to train her to lay down on command, but I didn't plan to start now! It could be a nightmare having a horse that lays down the moment you pick up a foot...on the flip side maybe my farrier would like to trim her laying down?! Haha. After she fell, it looked like she was going to scramble back up. I immediately squatted down and petted her all over, before asking her to get up. We went back to picking her feet and didn't have any trouble. I haven't braved her hind feet by myself yet. I'm hoping to catch my dad out at the barn one of these days so he can hold her while I do her back ones. 

11 comments:

  1. I had a little rescue gelding who did a couple of times when he was learning what holding his hoof up was all about. Don't worry, he figured things out pretty quickly - sounds like she's just an overachiever like my Sec D :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I got Lance he wasn't any better with his feet, and when a four year old doesn't want to quietly hold a foot up, it's another issue altogether! I had managed to hang onto whatever foot I was working on through his pulling and moving until one day when he managed to yank a back foot away. I went after him like a rabid wolverine! Since then he has been much better – and I lay a whip beside me within easy reach just in case. Emi is just inexperienced; Lance learned from an inexperienced and easily intimidated breeder that he could get away with bad manners. When I remind him sternly that I expect better, I get "better"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! We are not going to go there. At this point she just isn't sure how to make it all happen. I just plan to stay consistent with her and I'm sure it will be no big deal, soon!

      Delete
  3. My farrier worked on a horse that was trained to lay down by picking up a foot. As expected, it was a total nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine. That's what I DON'T want. :)

      Delete
  4. Probably just didn't know how to balance properly. Silly Emmi! She will get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always had that problem with baby ponies, thinking that they can lie down when you pick up their feet, uh no, keep yourself up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thankfully she's still pretty small so I don't feel like she's going to crush me when she does it. :)

      Delete
  6. Your instincts were really good in that situation. I'm not sure I'd be able to think that fast, hence the reason I am a terrible horse trainer. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!