Saturday, November 16, 2013

Lonely Pony

Today was the day Emi got left behind while Roz and I went up to NDF for a ride. My dad played babysitter and hung out with her in the barn while we were gone. Previously Roz has been fine leaving the barn, with her crying in the stall. Today, as soon as I loaded him in the trailer and he realized she wasn't coming with us, he started screaming with her. I left right away and when I unloaded him at the barn he was fine.

We had a good ride, despite him having 2 weeks off. His gaits felt even and loose. I can hardly believe he will be 22 in March. That's coming right up! He wanted to be a bit sassy at the canter but I expected that. It only took few quick reminders that he needed to behave, before he settled down. We put in about 35 minutes of work before heading back home.


As soon as we got home and Roz heard Emi cry, he was screaming right back. I let them back out together and all was well in the world. Although my dad did stay with her the whole time he said she didn't do anything stupid, and was not frantic. She would just perfer to have her friend at all times. I don't blame her but I'd like to have my riding horse back too! We will most likely head back up to the barn on Tuesday for round 2. Hopefully a week or two of that and it will be no big deal to be settled in to her stall eating hay for an hour while we ride.

Later this afternoon I headed back outside to clean her up. That's the hard thing about having horses outside in the winter....they get so dirty! Thankfully she doesn't roll like Roz, she just gets dirty from laying down to sleep. I'm glad she enjoys grooming. I got her all cleaned up and even had her tied for a good portion of the time. She gives to presure well and I figured there's no time like the present to begin tying.
After grooming her I stuck my saddle on the gate while I grabbed a few cleaning supplies. She was definitely interested in that! 
While I was cleaning she and Roz were sharing this hay bale by the gate. They act as if they don't already have 3 piles of hay, on their own side of the gate. I guess the hay is always better on the other side of the fence!
Such cute ponies and getting along so well now!

7 comments:

  1. So cute! I am envious of your baby! I want one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She's fun...although it will be really fun when we are riding.

      Delete
  2. Wow I had no idea he is almost twenty two! He looks good. Emi is sooooo cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd love to say it was my good care of him but really he's a nice smaller thoroughbred with a compact build. He's held up well!

      Delete
  3. Just love her curly mane. Glad you got to get out for a ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her mane is wild! It's still pretty fine baby hair. It will be interesting to see what it looks like next year.

      Delete
  4. Roz looks beyond amazing for being almost 22!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!