Monday, November 4, 2013

November Goals

Now that Emi is home, it's time to start making some goals for this month.

1) The first thing for me, is to just get all of us settled in to a routine. I want to still be able to haul Roz up to NDF to ride, but I need to make sure Emi isn't going to panic when I take her bossy buddy away. After watching them over the last two days I think she is actually going to be okay with him leaving and coming back. We'll see.

2) I'd like to start teaching her to tie. That's one thing we haven't touched yet, but it's something I think we are ready for. It's very important to me to have a horse that ties! For those of you that have taught a horse to tie, how do you like to do it?

3) We need to continue to work on picking out her feet. She's pretty good about picking them up but not as great about keeping them up.

I think that's enough for this month as I'm sure number 1 will keep us busy most of the month!

Roz and Emi's relationship is making progress. She ended up eating his grain side by side with him tonight. Not that I actually want them eating each other's grain, but it was a few quick bites before I lured her away to her own. Saturday night Roz aggressively chased her away from him while he was eating his grain. I think there is hope yet!

I wrote a couple of weeks ago about Roz's Amigo Mio blanket that ripped his first week wearing it. I finally got feedback from Victory Canter. Horsewear Ireland won't take the blanket back since it didn't rip along a seem or something like that. They are going to send me a repair kit and Victory Canter provided me with a $25 gift certificate. Tarra and I were talking about blankets on Saturday. I think that my next turn out sheet for Roz will be Smartpak's 10 year guarantee blanket. At 21 it will most likely be the last turn out sheet Roz needs and would be worth the investment.

11 comments:

  1. Well, at least you got SOMEthing for the bad blanket!

    Is it feasible to haul Emi along to NDF and stick her in a stall while you ride? Not that it isn't important for her to accept getting left behind, but what great experience it would be for her to haul back and forth – kinda like going to shows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do hope to take her along occasionally. I try to ride Roz 3 days per week so I don't want to have to haul her that much...

      Delete
  2. I taught a baby Mustang how to tie in college for a class. You start by teaching her to give to pressure in a halter and lead, then graduate to the same exercises of pressure/release when she steps forward with the rope around a pole (and you holding it, not tied.) Finally, we had big, heavy old inner tubes tied with heavy ropes to steel beams in the indoor, and when they were ready we tied them in there. The inner tube had some give to it so they didn't feel trapped, but it wasn't going to break if they sat down. Honestly, you will have so little trouble with her! She probably already has the basics just from you leading her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not expecting it to be a big issue but I like getting everyone's input. Years ago we boarded a couple of baby horses at our house. One of the borders paid me to groom her baby a day or two a week. We were probably 6 months in to this arrangement when she came out one day and saw me getting ready to tie her. Her owner told me she wasn't trained to tie. Haha. I said, actually she ties pretty well! I was young at the time and it hadn't ever crossed my mind that the filly wouldn't tie!

      Delete
  3. When I started teaching Griffin to tie it was after he had a simple base of giving to pressure on the rope halter. The most important thing when teaching them to tie is that the pressure isn't going to disappear if they keep pulling. Rope halters are key.

    Once Griffin understood how to give to the pressure we'd tie him with a quick release knot and just leave him while we did things very near. If he was standing quietly we'd go love on him. If he wasn't he was ignored.

    Sure he had some "moments" but never anything bad. He knew that giving to the pressure would release it. With time he learned to stand quietly.

    It helped that we were at the barn doing groundwork nearly every evening, too. So every evening I'd get him out and love on him, work with him for about 10 minutes in the round pen, then tie him while we played with the other horses. He got a lot of practice standing tied and he had a lot of other things to keep his attention so he wasn't too dreadfully bored.

    Once she's got a foundation of understanding, take Miss Emi with you if you ride Roz at an away arena. Tie her somewhere you'll be zipping by frequently and just let her be around all the activity while tied. It'll help her learn that standing quietly is okay. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought the SmartPak 10-year guaranteed blanket and so far I have been happy -- it was expensive for just a light-weight sheet, but the fit is good and the construction seems solid. Plus, SmartPak's customer service has always been top notch for me so I have faith that should I need to send it back, they would take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they are expensive for a sheet but if it holds up it will be well worth it. Also, like you, I have always had good experiences with Smartpak's service.

      Delete
  5. Great goals! My only advice for learning to tie which I'm sure you already know is don't actually tie the horse so don't learn to break away :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing worse than I horse that knows they can break away!

      Delete
  6. Great goals. We did not have any problems teaching Roscoe to tie. He actually figured out really fast how far he could pull, then he would stop and move forward. We started just by looping the lead around a post so only a little resistance was there then worked up to tying. Now he will stand tied at the trailer for hours. Definitely work on the feet, almost all the cobs I know have that issue. Roscoe is the best because I started from day 1 picking, trimming and handling his feet.
    Hopefully Emi does not start ripping Roz's blankets. Roscoe ripped DaVinci's, but Mom was able to sew it and put seam sealer on it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very happy for you that Emi is home! And I think those are some great goals to start.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!