Thursday, December 26, 2013

Costly

Since I started keeping Roz at home, I decided that I was going to keep track of his expenses for a year. It honestly doesn't matter to me how much he costs, I'd keep him regardless. At the same time, it is nice to have an idea of how much you are spending on a very large pet. I started a spreadsheet in January 2013. My average cost per month was $155. I thought that was pretty good. It includes all of his expenses, including hoof trimming and veterinary care. His cheapest month was August, at only $36. The most expensive was July at $509. July's number was high due to purchasing his hay for the year. How much do you spend on your horse per month? Obviously my costs are very low on a semi-retired horse living at home. I spent a lot more than that on him when he was boarded and we were showing. 

On another note, we had a wonderful Christmas. I got up fairly early so that I could let Emi and Roz out for a while, before we left for my grandparent's house. For Christmas I received an aluminum measuring stick. I measured both Emi and Roz last night. Roz is just slightly under 15.2hh. Emi measures at 12hh. I plan to measure her monthly for a while to keep track of how much she is growing. I also received a boucher, and I'm looking forward to trying Roz in it. From Tarra I'm getting a fancy browband for Emi (I just need to order it). I will post photos when I get it! 

15 comments:

  1. Ramone's complete expenses for the month cost less then Carlos' board per month. I'm doing pretty good lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...it's always nice to have a little more money in your pocket at the end of the month.

      Delete
  2. Wow!! Your costs are amazing!! I don't even want to know what Henry cost a month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's nice to be able to keep him at home.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I am jealous! I work off $250 of my board/lesson costs each month and it's still too high for me to want to type out loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad! But my expenses would definitely be more if I boarded him.

      Delete
  4. I've always wondered what it cost to keep horses at home -- so thanks for sharing! I've never had the opportunity myself, but always wondered how much the cost difference really was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it's quite a bit cheaper. It really doesn't cost that much to feed them, and that's my main expense.

      Delete
  5. I just totaled up horse expenses for the year and then broke it out per horse, with and without tack, etc. Interesting for sure, but Roz is definitely cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he really is pretty low cost. I will also be keeping track of Emi's expenses next year. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

      Delete
  6. Wow, I wish that was more like my costs. I want to track my costs this year down to the last penny but I'm a little worried to do so. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wasn't sure either but it turned out just fine. I know when I start riding Emi I will be spending a lot again. :)

      Delete
  7. I have no idea how much I've spent on Miss in the last year, ad really, I don't want to know lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have two ponies boarded. I don't even like to think about it. hah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...boarding gets expensive, fast!

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!