Tuesday, December 3, 2013

December Goals

November Goal Review

1) The first thing for me, is to just get all of us settled in to a routine. I want to still be able to haul Roz up to NDF to ride, but I need to make sure Emi isn't going to panic when I take her bossy buddy away. After watching them over the last two days I think she is actually going to be okay with him leaving and coming back. We'll see.


I'd say we mostly did this one. Everything from turn out to feeding grain is more complicated with the two of them. Now we are definitely in a pretty good routine and everything with two horses as gotten easier. The biggest issue we are having is figuring out a better way to make riding happen. 





2) I'd like to start teaching her to tie. That's one thing we haven't touched yet, but it's something I think we are ready for. It's very important to me to have a horse that ties! For those of you that have taught a horse to tie, how do you like to do it?


We did start tying this month and with the little bit that I've done, she's been great. She doesn't panic or get upset if she gets to the end of the rope, and is smart enough to step forward to release the pressure. 




3) We need to continue to work on picking out her feet. She's pretty good about picking them up but not as great about keeping them up.


This is a major win! I can't believe how much it has improved over the last month. The last couple of nights I've been picking her feet while she eats her hay and it's been like picking out Roz's feet. Yah Emi! She's getting to be a big girl. 

December Goals


1) To continue last months goals, I need to figure out a better way to get Roz out riding, with out stressing Emi out. We are going to try letting her stay out in the paddock, closer to the sheep. I will give that a try when my dad has a chance to babysit her. 


2) I'd like to practice trailer loading with her and take her on a field trip to NDF. 


3) Continue to work on tying and get a tie ring put up in her stall. 




Not the best photo but it gives you an idea of how much she has grown! 

14 comments:

  1. Look at her grow! I am thinking of breaking down my yearly goals into monthly goals in 2014. Seems to work out well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it's easier to stay on track that way.

      Delete
  2. Look at you two; a couple of fresh-faced kids! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yes, that's us! My boss made a comment the other day about someone looking "younger than Alanna." He made me laugh!

      Delete
  3. Look at that woolly little pony! Way to mow down those goals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's adorable (as always)! And I love your curly hair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's getting bigger and better everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's adorable! I like the idea of a field trip. Maybe you can take her with you when you ride and teach her pony or just let her hang out. Then she wouldn't be left home alone. Of course it's probably good that she learn to be alone too. Or you could do like me and get a companion donkey! Chrome doesn't even respond when Zep brays because it's not a neigh. :) I love that I can take him away and Chrome doesn't care either way. He's so independent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my best solution would be to get a pony to keep her company when I take Roz. Unfortunantly we have a limited amount of space for horses...if only I had more land. :) A co-worker and I were joking that the answer for all of our problems is always, just get another horse. Your horse is lame, get another one. Your horse is lonely, get another one. Haha.

      Delete
    2. LOL! I like that solution though! If only we had unlimited space and money. :D

      Delete
  7. Hello! I am a horse lover too! I made a website for cowgirls and I would like to share it with you! Check out my horse crazy site at: http://cowgirlsclub.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!