Sunday, December 15, 2013

Field Trip

Emi and Roz got to go on a field trip today! Let me tell you, two horses are a handful. I'm thankful that Tarra was able to help; there's no way I could have done it with out her. They both loaded easily and we headed up to NDF. Since Emi still hasn't had a lot of tying practice, I left her loose in the back of the trailer, just like we did when bringing her home. They hauled quietly and unloading was much easier this time. Emi walked along the edge of the trailer for a minute or two before leaping out! Tarra took Roz over to the arena, and I took Emi over to the barn. Roz needed a good run and I knew there were people over at the barn I could introduce Emi to.

She was wide eyed but pretty well behaved. She touched noses with a couple horses, and was petted by some friends. Alyssa commented that she did not baby mouth when meeting her mare...and she didn't. She hardly ever did it with Roz either. I'm not sure what that means, but it's interesting.

I moved her out of the barn aisle so someone could get through, and Tarra was bringing Roz out of the arena. I had been impressed that there hadn't been any whinnying between the two of them....but I thought that too soon. As soon as they saw each other they started crying. Tarra tacked Roz up for me and we headed over to the arena for some fun.

I let Emi go and hopped on Roz. She cruised around, checking out the arena, while I rode. I pretty much only walked Roz, as he was pretty worked up. We tried trotting twice, but as soon as Emi ran by, he was ready to explode. What I really wanted to do was stick him on the lunge line for a bit, but I didn't have that chance. We were joined in the arena by Alyssa and Tarra, so I caught Emi and was walking around with both her and Roz.
Meeting Mystic, they are so cute together
Part of my plan had been to start teaching Emi to pony, but I really didn't want to do it off of a frisky Roz. Tarra volunteered to take her on Mystic and I handed her over. She definitely didn't get it at first and either pulled behind them or ran ahead. They walked around for a while and she started to get it. At that point April, the barn owner, came out and took Emi from Tarra, so she could meet her. She commented about her thick tail and hairy ears.



I then traded Roz to April, and practiced trotting in hand with Emi. We hadn't ever done that before, and we need to practice if we want to do sporthorse in hand next year. She was pretty easy and didn't try anything naughty while trotting with me. Before calling it a day, I handed her back to Tarra for a little bit more ponying time. She was awesome! She totally understood what to do and ponied really well. Such a smart girl! We then hung out and chatted for a while before loading up to go home.

Future pas de deux partners!
Emi loaded easily but was hard to get out at home. It was a lot more like the day I brought her home. I ended up using a butt rope and somewhat dragging her out. It's a good thing Emi doesn't realize I'm smaller than she is. Once I had her out, I handed her off to my little (meaning younger, not smaller) brother, who is not horsey. He held her while I got Roz out. I was impressed with my good baby and brother! I'm very blessed.
Baby Finley and baby Emi meet.

We will probably go back up to NDF next weekend, as Alyssa has a baby at the barn for another couple of weeks. We want to let them play together, as neither has another baby play with. It will be good for her to practice her loading and unloading again. After that, I'm hoping to take her to NDF once a month or so, just to get her out and about. 

13 comments:

  1. Props to you for taking a baby somewhere new. She's going to be so chill once you start riding her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure hope so! If today was any indication, I think she will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really good thing to expose her to, you're such a good baby mom! And Mystic looks totally unflappable, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm trying to do right by her. She's making it easy.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a very successful field trip indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish Lucy knew how to pony politely. I'm sure she was ponied at the track but she is so naughty about it now. That's a great thing to teach Emi. She will be a lovely horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope so. I plan to pony her all over, so she needs to get used to it. :)

      Delete
  6. You will be thankful for all these field trips when she's older and totally used to exploring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a good girl with Mystic!

    And yay for outings and going places!! It's going to make life so much better for you later on in her training :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!