Monday, December 2, 2013

Grinding Halt

I took Roz for a nice ride yesterday afternoon. He was a little up when we got to the barn but I just let him roll along and he settled down before long. It's nice to give him a chance to stretch his legs. When we got home I tied him in the barn where Emi was, and got him untacked. All of the sudden I heard a strange noise. Emi was doing something with her mouth and I think she was grinding her teeth! I let them go and even with them being loose together I saw Emi grinding her teeth a couple more times.

I left them outside and was feeling totally stressed about taking Roz away from her again. I thought she was doing better with it, but both of my parents had checked on her while we were gone and said she seemed pretty worked up. Although I know it's better for Roz to be working I'm not willing to leave Emi at home forming a habit of grinding her teeth and being totally anxious. She's only 5 months old and her world has changed a lot in the past month.

My dad volunteered to babysit her for me again, and I think I'm going to try one more thing until I resign myself to giving up my riding horse for a few months. We have sheep that share the fence line with the horses. I'd like to try actually leaving her loose in the paddock and see if she seeks out their company and is more at ease not being confined. We'll see. I didn't hear any teeth grinding today so that's good. It's hard to know when you have pushed too hard and when you aren't pushing enough. Raising a kid is stressful!

16 comments:

  1. I'm sorry; I know her stress is YOUR stress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My neighbor has sheep and a single horse and I definitely think the horse enjoys the sheeps company. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I will let you know how it goes. :)

      Delete
  3. Try the sheep! I be tthat will help :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so tough to figure out that line especially with young horses. Good luck with the sheep!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, can't wait to see how the sheep thing works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I just want pictures of a cute baby pony hanging out with sheep. :-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sheep sound like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Emi! Raising babies is stressful, but it's so worth it! I totally understand on the push too hard/not pushing hard enough thing. I think I erred too much on the said of caution with Chrome regarding exercise, but he'll live and I'll learn lol.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!