Saturday, December 21, 2013

Shortest Day

I'm so happy we made it to the shortest day of the year. It only gets better from here. The sun was out today and it was fairly warm. I spent some time with Emi and Roz out in the pasture. Emi zoomed around for a few minutes before settling in for some grazing.
The best trot photo of the day, even if she was trotting down hill.
I'm still trying to get a great trot photo of this girl. She just doesn't trot that much....
I love her expression
A kind face
Grazing together
Funny face
The face of a very happy, very muddy, rolling horse. Some things never change.
When I went out to feed tonight, I spent some time playing with Emi. I braided her forelock for the first time, and it's so cute!

Her mane is still totally out of control. Usually a couple inches at her withers fall on the right side. After that a few inches fall on the left, and the rest is split up the middle. It's still fine baby hair but it's gotten a lot longer. I braided it once, but as soon as I took it out it went right back to it's normal position. Most days I brush it over to the right, but tonight I brushed it to the left. I think it actually wants to lay on the left...Has anyone ever had success training a mane? If so, what did you do?

I also groomed Roz. As you can see from the above photos, he was super muddy. He absolutely loves to roll, which makes keeping him clean a full time job. He also doesn't usually enjoy grooming. Those two things are not a good combination. He needs a bath so bad and won't get one until the weather warms up again. At least he is clean under his blanket! He looks great (other than the mud) and is at a very nice weight. He's not the easiest keeper but he's not horrible either. Each day he gets free choice local grass hay, 5lbs of Purina Active Senior, and 2 scoops of Platinum. I also just had a fecal egg count done on him, and he's clear.

4 comments:

  1. That IS a nice trot photo. Positive DAP….

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Solstice is always bittersweet for me. I love the darkness so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, she's going to be gorgeous! And I am all too happy to see the days get longer. You've seen my mane taming adventures! To do it right you have to do it every day, so you're in luck since she lives with you. I think a combo of training braids with Quickbraid (or a combo of gel and water) redone every 1-2 days and letting it get long is the best way to go, though I have to say Connor's neck blanket has done an outstanding job this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips. I'm going to give it a try. Braiding day number one will start tomorrow. Neck blankets are awesome! Roz has a high neck blanket that does a great job on his mane too.

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!