Thursday, January 2, 2014

Outmuscled

As I'm sure everyone would attest, horses easily outmuscle us. I experienced that in a big way today. My dad was home and available to watch Emi while we tried our new program. Unfortunately, Roz has gotten a bit herd bound with his baby. I never thought I'd see the day that would happen. He's a pretty independent guy and has lived as an only horse for several years with no problem.

We went out to the trailer, Roz loaded and promptly turned around and dragged me back out. Umm...that's not how it's supposed to go! I went back in to the barn for his chain and we tried again...and he again came right back out. I was so not happy! He wasn't thrashing around or running out of the trailer...he was simply turning his head and then walking out, despite my attempts to keep him there. The 3rd time I got my dad to close the trailer door behind me and I looped his lead rope around a bar on the side of the trailer so I actually had leverage against him. I got him tied up and we were off.

He was fine when we got to the barn and I let him play in the arena for a few minutes before tacking up and hopping on. He was full of himself but pretty well behaved. Towards the end of our ride he started screaming, and although it was hard to hear over the radio there were a couple of other horses from the barn talking to him. I ended up lunging him for his canter work since I knew he was excited. I think that was a good plan considering the day we had. He was good loading for the trip home and was also good when we got home.

And Emi....did great! Leaving her out was way better than locking her in. She called for him some but didn't seem stressed out like she does after being locked in. I think we found a workable plan.
Once I put them back together I turned them out for some time on the pasture. They were happy campers!

It was so nice to be back in the saddle and I know it will be good for Roz to leave Emi for a couple of times each week. Plus, when I get him settled down again it will be easier to take her with us occasionally and do some ponying.

It's really amazing to me what a hot horse Roz is. I keep thinking that as he gets older he will mellow out a little bit, but at almost 22 it doesn't seem to be happening. I can only imagine what he was like as a baby. Crazy boy!
Strutting his stuff

6 comments:

  1. BAD Uncle Roz! Glad you didn't get hurt and got him loaded and hauled in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These old guys are so goofy. Roz makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to watch those old ones! :)

      Delete
  3. At least he's feeling good instead of creepy crawling around ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!