Monday, January 20, 2014

Tough Decisions

I took Emi and Roz up to the barn for a ponying session. The horses we out on the pasture for almost 2 hours this morning and I figured they'd be nice and relaxed for our adventure. Roz was super filthy, yet again, as he rolled multiple times while I cleaned Emi up.


Once I had both horses cleaned up I loaded Roz and then Emi. Emi was a bit slow to load and Roz banged around in the trailer while he waited. Once we got up to the barn I got them unloaded and got Roz's bridle on. At that point Tarra and Alyssa came out of the barn ready to ride, and they were planning to walk around the hay fields. Emi has only been ponied once, but I decided we might as well head straight out to the field. We had a little trouble steering right off the bat, but I got us straightened out. Emi acted liked she has been doing it all of her life, and picked right up where we left off a month ago.

We went in to the arena and were going to do a little bit of in hand work but the arena was pretty crowded and there was activity outside so we just stood in the middle for a bit and called it a day. For the most part Emi's takes things in stride and doesn't seem too bothered with much. I tied her to the trailer by Roz, while I untacked him, and she was great. Then Tarra held her for me while I loaded Roz. Pretty much as soon as I had him in he started making a ruckus; looking over the divider, leaning against it, pawing like crazy...you name it. While he was spazing out, Emi was standing at the back of the trailer with me telling her to get in. I ended up picking up one front hoof and putting it in the trailer. Once I did, she climbed in.

She was very slow to get out at home. We are definitely going to practice that again next week. The whole time she's standing at the edge of the trailer, considering her options, Roz was freaking out. By the time she got out and I got him out he had ripped the hay feeder in the front of his slot, and gotten a small cut under his eye.

I'm just really not sure what to do about him. He used to be a super good traveler and much easier to handle than he is currently. I've tried making the excuse that I'm just not working him consistently enough but he I've been riding him again since the beginning of January, he had a good workout yesterday, had time on the pasture today, and should have been good to go. Maybe he's trying to tell me he doesn't want to play any more. It's a bummer that's it's stressing him so much and it's definitely frustrating me. I'm also beginning to worry that he's either going to break something on the trailer or he's going to hurt himself (or both). I'm so tempted to just say he's really officially retired so I don't have to fight him anymore...but then I really have nothing to ride, and nothing to pony Emi off of. The tough decisions in life!

A local tack store is having a contest. If you are on facebook, please "like" Roz's photo for him to win some new grooming products!

12 comments:

  1. Roz is sounding like he's seriously in love with Emi (and who can blame him? :) Maybe once he gets used to having a routine AND having his little buddy at home he'll get back to normal and stop being quite so dramatic about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Happy Pony; Roz has become "herd-bound." Officially retiring him is not going to solve your issue; he could just as easily (if not MORE easily) hurt himself at home if you haul Emi anywhere. It's something you're going to have to train him through for his own safety, whether you are going to continue riding him or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually...retiring him would relieve my current frustration. :) Believe it or not, I left him home a couple of weeks ago and he was just fine.

      Delete
  3. Hmmmm sounds to me like he's pushy and opinionated ha! What if you put her in first or maybe take him alone a few times?

    Good luck! I'm sure you'll figure it out.

    Glad that Emi was so awesome on the outting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually normally take him alone...I just take them both every once in a while. And yes, Emi is awesome! :)

      Delete
  4. I would separate them as it sounds like his attachment to her is getting extreme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a good way to do that and I don't want Emi living alone....

      Delete
  5. Two horses can be the most difficult combination by far--he gets super attached to her and has nothing else to think about when she's not there. Can you get a third or board one of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth! I wish I could get a third horse, but we don't have the space. Now that would be fun! :)

      Delete
  6. Herd bound. Just gotta work with him a lot on it, and it will get better. Don't think he needs to retire, just get over himself! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully he will settle down soon.

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!