Saturday, February 8, 2014

Musical Blankets

This crazy weather has been causing me to change Roz's blanket every day. Last winter I left him naked, since he grows a very nice winter coat. With plans to ride him this winter I knew I'd need to keep a blanket on him if I ever wanted him clean enough to ride. I purchased a new turn out sheet, an Amigo Mio, earlier this year. That's the blanket that ripped right away. Thankfully the patch has held. I have a nice Rhino Wug that Roz has had for many years, which I was going to use for our medium weight. Sadly, I had forgotten that Chevy broke one of the front snaps last year, and it's just not fitting well through his shoulders. That leaves me with a cheap Saxon medium weight, that I got a couple of months ago. I had that layered with his cooler and was finally happy with the fit, when I went out this morning it had a hole in it. It's been getting a lot of wear with being covered in ice the past couple days. I think I will patch it up but I'm sure it won't last another winter.

I definitely need to go blanket shopping for before next winter. I always go for cheap, but I'm seriously considering buying both a sheet and a medium weight in the Smartpak indestructible blanket. What is your favorite blanket?

On the weather front, we were stuck at home today. This is the snow and ice that my car, Dory, is stuck in.  It's supposed to warm up tomorrow so hopefully we will be free!

I took the time at home as an opportunity to clean my tack. I just bought new stirrup leathers so I oiled them and put them on my saddle. I've also started my project for using Roz's final pair of horse shoes. I will post that when I'm finished with it.

10 comments:

  1. I purchased through pinnacle horseware and got all Rambos and a great price but given the customer service I've always been given with smart pak that might not be a terrible option? My question for them was if my horse tears the first blanket and I am given a new one would they still replace it when it ripped? Or does the warranty cover all of the replacement blankets as well. I never did get a straight answer on that one I don't think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at all that snow! You got way more than us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got tons! I'm hoping it will melt off quickly and we can get back to riding.

      Delete
  3. Rambo wug all the way. I had a rhino that lasted forever on bre. Also have a 10yo weatherbeeta that's still in good shape. I go for Rambo wug though because of rubbing. Tried to save money by getting weatherbeetas for Dickie this year. They rubbed. Big time. Sensitive red head in her rambo looks perfect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to keep an eye out for a good buy on one. :)

      Delete
  4. That is an insane amount of snow, and I'm speaking from the great white midwest! I am jonesing for a Rambo, since I have all the liners now and the cut is fantastic on Connor, but I'm tempted by that lifetime warranty on the SmartPak blanket. Definitely review it if you get it. There are lots of threads on the Chronicle forums about them, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...it's so hard to decide. I figure either way this will most likely be his last set of blankets and I'd like them to last.

      Delete
  5. I don't use blankets that often anymore. My horses have shelter and I think my 3 yr old would play with and munch on my geldings blanket if I had him in one! :) I have a valley vet Brookside which has held up very well, my sister loves these too and they are affordable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emi isn't going to be blanketed until she starts working but I figure it doesn't hurt to give the old man a little bit of help, and it keeps him clean for me.

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!