Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Stepping Up

We went from 70 degrees and sunny, to 55 and rainy. It was not a very nice switch, but that's how spring goes. I was on the fence about riding Roz tonight but I knew I really needed to. We had a break in the weather and I headed out. All was quiet at the barn tonight and we had the arena to ourselves. That's not a problem for me but Roz certainly does not like it. He screamed the whole ride but continued working through it. After 2 lessons and the weekend at the Equine Expo I'm ready to step up my game. Roz rose to the occasion and gave me some very nice work. We started with leg yielding on a circle, like they did in the clinic Tarra was in. Roz easily did it off of the right leg, but was slower from the left. After trotting some serpentines and schooling some transitions we moved off in to the canter. He transitions were crisp and he was nice and quiet. That was unusual...but nice! Back at the trot we schooled leg yields, and played with shoulder-in.  We went back to tuning up our walk/trot/walk transitions. The upward transitions are nice but he really wants to dive down on the bit and fall into the down transition. It's definitely a problem I need to solve. To finish I introduced him to haunches-in. He gave me some good attempts and we will keep working on it.

After riding my lesson horse, I did noticed how much I love Roz's size. He's so handy and comfortable for me. I've learned a lot since I was seriously riding Roz, so it's time to start stepping up his education. He's perfectly capable of the work, I just need to get more focused and require higher quality work.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, looking so fly in his sparkle brow band!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he needs to model his other bead strand soon!

      Delete
  2. There is something about your horse that is just right :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! Especially a horse you have had for 8 years. :)

      Delete
  3. With the weather getting nicer its really wonderful to start thinking about stepping up to more challenges :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!