Monday, April 7, 2014

April Goals

March Goals Review

1) We definitely have plans for another field trip. Mainly we need to practice for showing in hand. 

Since I last wrote Emi has been on two field trips and our in hand work is getting much better!


2) Put her halter on more frequently, particularly when she's running around.  I watched a video done by Jessica Wisdom, regarding showing in hand. She talked about making sure your horse, especially if you have a filly, was used to whatever show equipment you planned to use. Otherwise you may have a horse that was shaking it's head and pinning its ears. We had lots of head shaking and angry ears while trotting in hand last week. She really hasn't worn her halter that much, so I think it could be good to give her more time to get used to ignoring it moving around on her head. 

I was much more diligent with this at the beginning of the month. The last week or two I have been a bit more lazy. With the show coming up at the end of the month I definitely need to get back at it. 

April Goals

Things are heating up! Our first show is 3 weeks from today. 

1) I've got to practice hauling her tied. It's not something I've done yet, but I really do need to. For the show Emi will be loaded first and then we will head up the road to NDF to get Mystic. Tarra is going to help me with this on Monday. 

2) The show! My goal is to have a positive first horse show with the little lady. I'm sure she's going to be a little bit freaked out but I think she will do well. Hopefully the judge will be able to tell we have been practicing! 

Pictures of the kids playing in the pasture tonight. 






6 comments:

  1. I think you are making great progress! She will be amazing at the show :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only three weeks away! So exciting!! I think she will do great at the show. She'll be excited, but babies are so adaptable.

    Also I definitely agree with working on her hauling tied now!! I hauled Chrome loose as a weanling and then kept putting off tying him up and then was too afraid to tie him up and now he's almost five and I've still never hauled him tied...... oops lol. I really need to work on it..... someday....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input. It's definitely one of those things where you wonder when will be a "good" time. She does give to pressure and ties, so it shouldn't be an issue. I just want life to be as low stress as possible.

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!