Friday, April 25, 2014

Ready, Set, Show

Emi's first horse show is tomorrow! I can't believe it's already here. I took her up to NDF this evening for her bath. Of course, today was the first time I've ever had trouble loading her. I walked her up to the trailer and stepped in like normal. She usually takes a minute or so to hop in. Since she does end up getting in I haven't made an issue out of it. Well a minuted passed and you could tell she wasn't even considering getting in. What kind of poor timing is that!? Since I was by myself I had to get a little bit creative to get her in. I ended up grabbing my lunge line so I could wrap that around one of the bars at the front of the trailer and be able to keep her head pointing in the right direction. Some tapping with the dressage whip and finally a couple of good pops and the pony jumped in.

She got lots of praise and seemed pretty unconcerned once in. I closed the divider and tied her up like a big girl. She stood quietly and hauled nicely up to the barn. I was pleased that she handled the pressure well and didn't melt down. I imagine we will have to discuss the issue a couple more times, but she might surprise me.

Once we got to the barn she unloaded nicely and we went into the arena with Tarra and Mystic. I walked her around a bit and then handed her over to Tarra for some trotting. She ponied her around for a few minutes before passing her back to me. I messed around with getting her set up to be judged and I did a tiny bit of trotting in hand.

Then it was over to the barn for her first big girl bath. We gave her a sponge bath at a month or two but beyond that she hasn't ever had a real bath. My friend (the owner of NDF) was super nice to let me bring Emi up to use their warm water wash rack. We only have the cold hose at home and it is definitely not warm enough for the cold hose. Emi was quite good. She was a bit surprised right at first but didn't really seem to mind it. I did a quick job but she definitely looks a lot better.




Finally she got to have a sleepover at the barn and wear a blanket. She wasn't super thrilled with her accommodations at first but she settled in and was doing well when I left. Little does she realize that tonight is just the beginning of her new experiences this weekend!


I came home and finished up taking care of Roz. He seems totally fine home alone, although I'm sure he will be happy to see her tomorrow afternoon. Anyway, I've got to get to bed as my wake up call is going to come way too early!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, what a good girl she sounds like she is very mature for her age. Good luck with the show and I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the pictures on Facebook and can't wait for a recap!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to hear how it all went!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late to commenting but I saw instagram, looking forward to reading about it :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!