Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Rodeo

I saw some lame steps from my old friend last night, so I didn't plan to take him up to NDF tonight. I'm feeling a bit down that something is wrong with him anyway, and was texting Tarra on my lunch. She suggested I bring Emi out tonight and that she would help pony her. I figured that was a good idea since our show is now only a month away. I hustled home from work and loaded her up. Tarra was just getting there so we hung out while she got Mystic ready and then we headed over to the arena.



Pretty much as soon as we go in to the arena Emi was ready to go. I know she wanted to run, and she decided to do some bucking too. After a couple small rodeos she settled down and was being decent. She still wasn't as easy as she can be, but I don't blame her for wanting to play. That being said, baby girl does need to learn some restraint when she is working. I got after her for the naughty stuff (bucking) and redirected the exuberance. We did a little bit of trotting her in hand before handing her off to Tarra and Mystic.

She started out either dragging behind or rushing ahead. 

I don't like this....

Still not thrilled, but going with the flow. 

Time to change directions

Settling in.

So cute!

Now she was getting it!

Final trot through and she had it figured out.

Although this wasn't her first time being ponied it was the first time we really practiced trotting. Tarra thought it would be good for her to have the lead rope swinging and really be able to keep her on task with Mystic rather than it being easier for her to pull me around on the ground. I definitely saw improvement and I know it was good for her. When they finished I took her trotting one lap around the arena and it was our best yet.

While we were walking the horses out, Tarra and I were talking about finding a good balance when raising a baby. I feel like you need to have similar expectations to what you want from an adult horse, but I also think you need to be easier in your correction of them. As nice as it would be, they don't come knowing all the things we want them to. I really do try to be very aware of the things I let Emi do. It's easier to let her get away with stuff since she's still so small and cute, but I know she won't be like that forever. Overall I thought today was really great practice for the show since I'm sure she's going to be wound up.

6 comments:

  1. She looks good. Raising a baby would be so hard. I'm not sure I have the personality for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you definitely have to find a balance. I guess we will know in another couple of years if I'm any good at it. :)

      Delete
  2. What a good girl and holy cow what an awesome trot! :D I can't wait to read about the show. You're going to have so much fun.

    Raising Chrome was awesome! I know I let him get away with some things, but nothing dangerous and he's turned out to be a perfectly obedient and respectful adult horse. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm looking forward to the show!

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!