Monday, May 26, 2014

A Pinto, an Appy, and a Bay

My baby is so awesome! She got to go cross country schooling today, and as I'm coming to expect, she took in in stride. We started the outing by hauling up to NDF to meet up with Tarra and Alyssa. Alyssa has a big four horse trailer and that allowed us to all ride together. That meant that Emi had to load in my trailer, unload at NDF, load right back in to a strange trailer and then reverse that for the trip home. Alyssa's trailer is quite a bit taller than mine and it has the back tack room so the entrance is a more narrow. I really wasn't sure what to expect but she pretty much hopped right in. We put her in the middle so I think she was happy to have seen another horse go in ahead of her. 

She came out nice and calm at Inavale and I let her graze while they tacked their horses up. Then we walked up to the cross country course and I got her busy grazing while I took some photos. When the riders were taking a break I took Emi over to a teeny tiny log. She sniffed it before leaping over it. We moved on to another field and I took a few more photos before handing my camera over to Tarra and taking Emi over to check out a bank. We went up it first, down, and back up. It was no big deal. 





Next up was the water jump field. Emi was a bit wide eyed at the horses splashing through the water and she was not interested in getting in. Tarra tried to pony her in and I finally decided to sacrifice my boots to get her in. I was standing with her trying to coax her in when she took a flying leap. She actually took about 3 big lunges out through the water and was nearing the end of my rope. For a split second I though I might lose her but she stopped as suddenly as she went. Alyssa also happened to be at the right place at the right time and was able to just take Emi from me so I didn't have to wade out to get her. Even at the end she wasn't thrilled with getting in to the water, although she was fine once she was in. I didn't want to push it since I figured she'd seen enough for the day. This was her first ever experience with water like that, and I know she will only get better.



This was her second or third time in.
Alyssa continued to pony Emi for a bit while I took more photos for Tarra. At this time several minis and one larger driving horse showed up to school in the water. It was actually pretty crazy. Thankfully our horses were calm about it. I had to take Emi over by them to pick up a few things that I left behind. She was a bit up but didn't do anything dumb. 

I love these two ponies!
On the return trip home she again hopped right in to the trailer. I was impressed! Unfortunately by the time we got back to NDF she was pretty sure she did not want to get back in my trailer for the trip home. We needed a bit of assistance but she did get in. She's hauling like such a good big girl now, all tied up with the divider closed. She also stands very quietly and doesn't seem to bang around at all. I think I'm going to have a solid citizen on my hands! 

Next up is our second welsh show at the end of June. I'm not sure if we will have any more outings before then. I may take her back to NDF to practice a little bit in hand...or I might just do it in the field at home. 

A quick 11 month shot back at the trailer. 

11 comments:

  1. Love the leaping pictures!! She sure is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved looking at these pictures on fb! Outings with baby are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is too cute. What a good outing for her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is SO AWESOME! You are the best baby pony owner ever. Man. Also, she is getting cuter as she gets older, which is backwards - she should be in the "keep them behind the barn" stage right now! She just looks like a really well-put together miniature adult Cob. Love it. I love watching her grow with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen! That means a lot. I was noticing she's a bit butt high today...but yes, she's never looked bad. :)

      Delete
  5. She is a bit butt high, but she looks so well put together!! She doesn't look gangly at all. :) She's gorgeous. I love all of the pictures, especially the one leaping into the water. She just saying she wants to jump like the big eventing ponies hehe. Love her braids too. Also that Appy. Beautiful! I have a soft spot for Apps. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I sure do love my baby pony. And the apply is Lola. She's a doll!

      Delete
  6. I love that you took her to play on XC stuff! Future event superstar like her Daddy? I think so.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!