Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Blog Hop: Let's Make a Baby

Another fun blog hop from Viva Carlos.

"Yay imagination time!  Well more imagination time for some of us and a tiny bit less for the rest of us. This week's blog hop is..... If you could/were so inclined to breed your horse (1.. let's not get into the issues of backyard breeding and 2.. let's pretend your horse is a mare if it's not) WHO would you breed your horse to and Why!"

Although I didn't quite breed my current horse she was pretty much a custom order... Before Emi, I would have definitely said I'd breed a mare to North Forks Cardi. Now that I have a Cardi daughter I will have to find something else!



Yes, this was less than a year ago!
It's possible that I will breed Emi some day, but it all depends on how she turns out. It's in the back of my mind to breed her but it obviously wouldn't be very soon. I could see producing my next riding horse when she is around 10. As far as what I'd be looking for...She's more refined than what the Welsh Cob people like, so I'd breed her to something with a bit more bone. I'd definitely want to breed her to a tall stallion to increase my chances of getting a 15hh horse. As of right now I think she has a great brain and I'd definitely want to see that in any stallion I use. Time will definitely bring out other things that I'd like to see improved but it's harder to tell in her current state.  


The first Cob stallion that came to mind is Camina's MacCoy. Can you say gorgeous!? I'm a huge sucker for chrome, and I also really like that he has had a performance career. I believe he's currently showing Prix St. George. He's based on the West Coast too.  I'm definitely keeping an eye on him. I'm hopeful that he will be at Devonwood this year so that I can see him compete. I also think that Quillane Welsh has some super gorgeous stallions...so I'd check them out for sure! 

It has crossed my mind to breed her with a TB or warmblood but I really like the cobs and don't see any reason not to go for another purebred. 








8 comments:

  1. MacCoy is gorgeous!!! I didn't look at the other website because I'm cooking, but I agree with you that going purebred would be the way to go. She is such a nice filly I could see a baby with a taller, thicker stallion being totally awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say, Emi is an almost custom pick right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is kind of off topic but Cardi's full brother is here. His owners are camping next to us. He's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh..I might have seen him! Solid bay with two hind socks? If so that's funny, because I thought he looked a lot like I expect Emi to look when she's grown. What was his name?

      Delete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!