Saturday, May 10, 2014

Opportunity

I love riding and I don't foresee that ever changing. However, Tarra and I were talking today about how the expense of riding is so frustrating. Whereas some of the more "normal" sports may hinge on your actual talent for the sport, or you willingness to work, riding isn't necessarily like that. I think what can hold a rider back is not having the funds to purchase that horse that will take them to the next level, or not being able to get regular instruction, or not having the money to show that horse at the level they need to. In the end, what separates a lot of riders (in my opinion) is not talent but money. Now I'm not saying I believe hard work doesn't pay off, because it does, it just isn't everything in the sport of riding. Thankfully, riding is something you can do for a lifetime verses some of the other sports where you wear your body out quickly

The conversation came about during the course of the day at Tarra's horse show. We had a lot of fun and they did great. Photos below of some of my friends. We had most of the levels covered! I included two photos of a Haflinger and Welsh Cob, both showing 4th level. They were so cute!

2nd level

1st level


Training level

Material - 3 year olds

4th level



Welsh Cob doing 4th - He won the class and is out of the same sire as Cardi.

Adorable haflinger

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures - and horses! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that money is an issue, which is why I didn't show at USEF/USDF level last year. But I don't agree that it takes money to buy the right horse or have a regular instructor, because many of us have reached the top at the local levels on horses that no one would have bet on, like my Morgan and Tarra's Gypsy, and the Welsh Cob above, and without regular instruction. We won't compete at the Olympics, but neither will 99.9% of the rest of the dressage riders in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely not against an off breed...I purchased a Welsh Cob! :) But what happens to someone with limited funds when/if there horse becomes lame, or gets sick? You can't afford to go buy another one at the level of your current horse, so your back to square one, which happens to some people multiple times. There's definitely a little luck involved but it's made easier when you have more money.

      Delete
    2. Even the "big guns" have similar challenges, you know. Most top-level riders can't afford their own horses and depend on patrons with deep pockets to supply their mounts. And sometimes those patrons sell their horses to the highest bidder leaving the rider high and dry.

      But besides that, if it's the journey and not the destination that counts, then every chance to start over and bring another young horse along is a fun blessing, right?

      Delete
  3. The financial part of horseback riding is very, very frustrating. I twouldn't be if I weren't a competitive person, but unfortunately I am. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always found the money part frustrating as a junior and then as a young amateur. I think a big key as a young person is investing in your future and making smart choices if you don't have the unlimited funds, that way you are able to accomplish all you really can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that's true. Although sometimes when you are young you don't have the wisdom to make the best choices.

      Delete
  5. Yeah the money aspect is why I don't compete (yet anyway). It's also frustrating just in the every day aspect too.... not having the ideal trailer (but at least I have one! not complaining!), but not being able to afford one you and your horse would prefer. Not having the saddle for the type of riding you want so you have make do with one that's not ideal (riding in Aussie saddle, instead of dressage because it's all I have). It can go on and on, but I know you understand what I'm saying or you wouldn't have posted about it. All of that rambling is just to say I agree with you!

    Those pictures are awesome!!! Beautiful horses and the trot on that Haflinger is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!