Thursday, June 12, 2014

Cob Collector

It was an exciting day in my life...I picked up my second Welsh Cob. One thing I have always planned on was to be in good riding shape (and practice) when Emi is ready to ride. I think I owe that to both of us. About a month ago I put out my feelers to see what kind of horses may be available for me to ride for the next couple of years. In a few days I had 10+ horses offered to me. From cobs and cob crosses, to a half arab, a mustang, a warmblood, quarter horses, and a POA. I got offers from several people who I don't really even know. It was a humbling experience that people would trust me with something so important.

One of the horses that was offered to me was Willow. She's a beautiful, BIG, Welsh Cob mare that belongs to a friend of a friend. She's 13 years old and has had one owner her entire life. They don't currently have a use for her and have had her listed for sale. When they heard I was looking for a horse to ride they offered her to me! 

Today was the day I finally got to go meet her and pick her up. She lives a few hours from here so it was a fun road trip. Erica came along and we chatted the whole way. When we arrived I met her owner and visited with her about Willow's history. She has had two foals by Cardi and has some dressage training. She's schooling first and some second level. They said she loves attention and is happy to work. She has not had a lot of trail or show experience, which is something she will be getting with me. 

The trainer rode her, and then I hopped on. We definitely need to figure each other out but she was a good girl and did everything I asked her. She felt good under me and has a really fun canter. They said she hadn't been ridden in two weeks, but she comes out the same way every day, regardless of her riding schedule. I think we are going to have tons of fun!



She loaded easily and hauled quietly home. She came off the trailer a little bit looky but settled right in. She had gotten her tail yucky in the trailer so I took her in the wash rack to wash it. By the time I was done she had a foot rested and was just taking in the view. She's a total love sponge!  I'm so blessed to have this opportunity with her. I'm pretty certain we are going to become best buddies and I'm looking forward to getting to know her better.



22 comments:

  1. That's fantastic, and she's beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaahhhh that is so cool! She is really nice. What's her breeding? I am very excited to watch the two of you progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/bro+a+bryn+anwylyd. I'm so excited! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks. I think she's really cute. :)

      Delete
  4. Heh. I don't think this one is leaving. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. You and everyone else. That's been the most frequently asked question. "So...when are you going to buy her?"

      Delete
  5. How exciting!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know you'd decided to get a third. I knew you were thinking about it. What a surprise. Congrats! She is absolutely gorgeous! I look forward to following along with both of you and getting to know her better. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It all came together beautifully. It's a God thing.

      Delete
  6. She is sure pretty! Enjoy her and learn lots! I just leased out a black mare too!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!