Sunday, June 15, 2014

Getting Acquainted

First of all, thank you all for your excitement and comments. I think this is going to be a really good thing for me, and I'm looking forward to all of the fun I'm going to have with Willow.

Friday night I just hung out with Willow, grooming her and trying on tack. She seemed pretty happy and was settling in well. Saturday morning I headed back out to NDF to go for a ride. She was anxious while I tacked her up and was moving around quite a bit. I opted to put her on the lunge line for a few minutes before getting on. It was nice to watch her move and to see what her reaction was going to be to things. From what I can tell, she just puts her head up and gives things a good look. I can handle that! When I went to get on she was wiggling all over. I finally put her between the wall and the mounting block. Once on, she felt tense but started to relax the longer I rode. When I finished riding her I got off but stayed in the arena talking to a friend. I sat on the mounting block and Willow decided to take a little nap behind me...she had relaxed a lot!

Today she came in to the barn totally calm. She stood quietly while I got her ready and I skipped right by the lung line. Part way through our ride I got her connected and nicely on the bit. It was like we were finally speaking the same language, and I had a different horse. She's really fun; forward thinking and willing. It was really neat to catch a glimpse of where we will end up. Now I'm just trying to find a saddle that fits her. My close contact saddle seems like it might pinch her just a bit. April's dressage saddle doesn't sit quite right and wants to tip forward. April has a wintec all purpose saddle that I'm going to try. From just sitting it on her I think it's the best fit so far.

 Roz's "Dark Jewel Designs" brow band fits her. Yah!
Emi's show is now two weeks away so I decided it's time to tackle clipping a bridle path. We had bridle path round 1 last night and I plan for bridle path round 2 tomorrow night. When she thought I was just holding the clippers up by her ears she was okay but when I started cutting she definitely did not think that was okay. I worked with her for a while and then decided to call it a night. Hopefully I can get it finished tomorrow night. I only need about 5 seconds of her standing still but I'm a bit paranoid about chopping off part of her mane or forelock while she's slinging her head around! I measured her this morning and she's just shy of 13.1hh. I think she should make the 14.3hh that I'd like her to.

9 comments:

  1. Yay for things going well!!!

    I should stick Grayson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! It would be fun to see how big he is now...not that they are a great comparison. How tall do you expect Grayson to get?

      Delete
  2. Just read about your new one, congrats! That is fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read an article about desensitizing a horse to clippers one time and it told of something you can cut that mimics the sound of cutting hair, but I can't remember what it was! It was totally brilliant because you could desensitize them to the sound of hair being cut away from them a little before moving closer... I'll see if I can find it.

    I'm so glad you're enjoying Willow! She is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Willow is adorable! I'm so happy for you! (And also a few days late).

    And I can't wait for Emi's show.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!