Monday, June 23, 2014

Mystery

Willow has turned out to be a bit of a mystery. She was tense and anxious all week last week and I rode her almost every day. Each day she'd move all around while I tacked her up. She'd poop multiple times while I got her ready and then several more times while I was riding her. I just couldn't figure her out. Saturday we road with Tarra and had a pretty decent ride. I gave her Sunday off and then went out tonight. It was a bit stormy and there were a lot of other people at the barn. Willow came in quietly and stood nicely while I tacked her up, only pooping once.

I opted to put her on the lunge line for a few minutes to be sure she wasn't going to be too worked up. She was the quietest she has been. That translated right over into our riding and she felt much more like the horse I tried before I brought her home.  It was so nice to have her relaxed. Hopefully she will keep it.

12 comments:

  1. Did you ride her alone all last week? Thinking that she may not be used to that, and was happier with "friends" around. Otherwise, I haven't a clue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I actually only rode her by herself twice, and the rest of the week with others. There was no noticeable difference either way. So weird, but I was delighted to have her be so much calmer today. There's hope yet. :)

      Delete
  2. She might just still have been adjusting to the new environment and everything else. Hopefully she will be more settled soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Welsh D takes a little while to get used to new people and new environments, mostly new people...she's way more in tune to that sort of thing than any other horse I've owned. Maybe that's all that's been going on. Willow sounds like a really sweet girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say she is probably settling in.. give her some time to get used to you and the new place. Imagine being taken from the things you know and having a new mom and home :) I am sure she will settle in nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Apparently I'm very spoiled with Roz...anyone could take him home and he'd be just fine. :)

      Delete
  5. Is she out with Emi and Roz? Maybe she hasn't been sleeping while they figure out their hierarchy and now that they have it sorted maybe she's more rested. Who knows. I'm glad she's settling in though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's actually being boarded. She is turned out with others, but she's the boss!

      Delete
    2. Hm there goes my theory. Oh well whatever it was in glad she seems to be settling in.

      Delete
  6. Have you tried some omeprazole or even a handful of alfalfa pellets before you ride? Dickie when through a really irritable phase under saddle when he was having tummy aches. Maybe the move upset her tummy.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!