Sunday, June 29, 2014

Show #2

Saturday morning Tarra and I headed up to Emi's second show. It was at the same place as last time, but was supposed to be a big 3 day welsh show rather than the one day welsh/open show we attended in April. The show was supposed to start at 8am and there were almost 20 classes before Emi's. I hemmed and hawed about what time to get there but finally decided on 8:30. I figured that would be earlier than I actually needed to be there but I didn't want to miss my class. 

We pulled up and left Emi on the trailer while I went to check in. As we approached the arena I saw that they were just setting up the arena...at 8:30! The show ended up starting an hour and a half late. I have never been to a show that started an hour an a half late. It was crazy. I never heard a reason for the late start either.

The extra time did give Emi plenty of time to eat hay and chill in her stall. A welsh person, who's friends with Emi's breeder, helped me shine her up before I took her out. I walked her around for a bit but there was a break and gate hold going on and I ended up opting to take Emi back to her stall. This was our first time out in the white halter other than the few times we had used it at home. It's like flying a welsh pony kite! Haha. It tightens up on her face and then doesn't really offer a good release of pressure so it wasn't the easiest thing to use. I'm trying to decide what to do use next time...it does look sharp. 

Emi was good in the show ring. She trotted nicely for me both times around the arena and I think she stood a little better this time too. Here's the video (although it turned out a little bleary). Tarra thought my trot may have been too conservative. The feed back I got last time was that a trotted her a little too quickly and she was off balance. I need to find a happy medium. The class was double judged and she placed third and fourth, out of four. Obviously I think she's great and I'm not sure what the judges are really looking for. I think they'd like to see her with more bone and more knee action. Maybe you welsh people can chime in! I wish you got some sort of feedback from the judges. Dressage has really spoiled me, rides times and a score sheet! 

When her class was finished we snapped a few more photos and loaded up. Tarra had gone back in to the trailer tack room to grab a whip (just in case) and I walked Emi up to the trailer. She jumped right in! She was so ready to go. I was really pleased with how good she was and it was another good outing for her. She was definitely a bit more worried going by herself but I thought she held herself together well.  I also noticed that she hardly whinnied this time while last time she talked a lot. 

Her next show is in about 8 more weeks, at the Oregon State Fair. Once we get through that show I'm not really sure if we will do any more welsh shows. We'll see. 

Now for the fun part, pictures! I love having a horse show buddy. Thanks, Tarra!
Scoping things out
Twins
She could be a model


Not the most flattering photos but I couldn't help but smile at her worried eyes and poofy forelock. It's seriously her most frequently discussed feature. 
In the ring 
Attempting to pose with her ribbons

13 comments:

  1. I've never seen that type of halter before; it really does look sharp on her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a traditional welsh thing. I think it looks nice also.

      Delete
  2. In-hand classes are always SO different from riding classes, IMO, so I'm absolutely no help there. But wow, she looks great! Her coat is just SHINING in those pics!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think she looks nice too.

      Delete
  3. I have no idea how cobs are judged. My experience with welsh shows were more with the hunter variety (section c?). She looks adorable to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I have no idea what halter judges want, much less in regards to cobs. I'd just tell people you were fourth and not mention the class size. It was a "big" show. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is so gorgeous! I love that halter on her! I hope someone familiar with them can help you find a solution to make it work. It looks so good on her. Congrats on another great outing! The placing doesn't matter since the whole point is gaining experience for Emi and I have to say she's totally acing the whole show thing. :D I think she looked great. She tossed her head a tiny bit, but I'm not really sure what exactly they are looking for since I've never showed halter or been around the Welsh breed. I still think it's a huge success simply because she is so well behaved and smart. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm very happy with her behavior. She is a little bit sassy when trotting in hand but they don't mind that. I actually think they'd like her to be more animated.

      Delete
  6. It's amazing how much she's grown up!! You can really see the horse she is going to become.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!