Monday, August 11, 2014

Shoo Fly

There are a lot of things to like about summer...but flies are not one of them! Ever since I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer I've been much more careful with the chemicals that I use on my horses and I wear gloves when applying products. That was never a concern for me before. The things I have been using this summer do seem to be working, and I thought I'd share.

1) My go to product is Repel-X lotion. This stuff works so so good!  It's my favorite product for the sensitive skin on their bellies near the sheath/udder. Roz can get terrible oozing sores there if I don't keep on top of things. The Repel-X only needs to be applied every 5 days or so and it beats all of the other products I have tried. Swat is one of the other ones that I have used but it's so messy! This lotion goes on easily and really works.  As stated above, I do apply this with gloves. If I could only use one thing...this would be it.

2) Fly predators! I had heard a lot about these and NDF started using them a few years ago. Although they don't make all of the flies magically disappear they do seem to decrease the number of flies. I just started using them here at home, this year, and I do think they have helped. They are easy to use. You can sign up for automatic monthly shipments and then just spread them around manure areas. I definitely plan to continue using these next year.

3) My newest tool is Eco-vet fly spray. I've been using this for the last month or two and I think it really works! The active ingredients are actually fatty acids, and they confuse the flies and keep them from your horse. The product was created by a vet who was concerned about the chemical exposure his own family was receiving while spraying fly spray. It's another product than can be applied every few days.

What are your favorite products?

5 comments:

  1. We use the fly predators, and I use a roll-on applicator (don't remember brand) for Lance's ears. On horse-camping trips where the deer and horse flies are vicious, we use Adams fly spray, but that stuff smells so toxic. I'll have to look into Eco-vet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always liked Repel-x spray. Totally going to check out the lotion, since I HATE dealing with Swat! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting topic! All three are interesting. I only use Pyrahana, and it's probably the worst offender for respiratory irritation/unhealthy chemicals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, very interesting! I use Pyranha, because it's one of the only ones I've found that actually work, but I'm not sure that it's great for Miles' skin. It seems to trap dirt/dust/dander....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing these products!! My problem is the ticks. I can find all natural things that work on flies, but not ticks. It seems like there isn't anything without chemicals that will kill them...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!