Sunday, September 7, 2014

An Apple A Day

We've all heard the saying "an apple a day keeps the doctor away." However, I don't recommend too many apples per day.  Emi had loose stool and been gassy for the past week or two. This is the second  time that's happened and I was racking my brain for what may be going on. I had pretty much decided she had a sensitive digestive system, unlike Roz. Saturday night I purchased probios for her, to aid her digestive system in getting back on the right track (this is a product we used to use on our 4-H steers).

I was talking to my dad about it as we were doing chores last night and mentioned that I thought the apples could be the problem.  He agreed and asked how many apples are generally under the tree in their field in the morning. I really wasn't sure, but I didn't think there was that many! Whatever does fall overnight she shares with Roz too so I didn't think it was a big issue. I decided I would check it out this morning, and I'm glad I did. There were a lot of apples under that tree! They are very small, almost bite sized. She's a like little vacuum cleaner with them and I think they are what's causing the problem.  On workdays I'm usually outside around 5:45am, and it's getting to the point where it's still dark at that time. Apparently I'm going to start getting up 5 minutes earlier so that I can pick up apples before she gets so many.
The baby girl loves apples...and she's looking less and less like a baby!

4 comments:

  1. Oh she's adorable!
    So lucky to have apple trees in their paddock, but not so lucky for you who has to pick them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probios helped Miles a lot with this problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nom nom apples! I'm sure probios will help a ton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! Yes definitely pick them up or put a fence around them. They can produce and drop a lot more apples than you would think and it could make them sick. I'm glad you figured out the problem before something happened. She's gorgeous by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!