Monday, October 13, 2014

The Rain is Coming

You may be wondering what in the world I've been up to if I have been too busy to ride and to blog. I've been working hard to winterize Roz and Emi's paddock as the rain is scheduled to roll in tonight. Last year we used hog fuel to reduce the mud but I wasn't that thrilled with it. My main issue with it was the number of slivers I'd pick up while grooming the horses. This year I'm trying something new,  cedar wood chips.  I got a pick-up load of each day on my lunch hour and then spent some time in the evening unloading them so that I'd be ready to go the next day. I don't have a picture of the finished product but I'm looking forward to seeing how well they hold up over the winter.



7 comments:

  1. I am super curious to see how well this works for you! I have always been told not to use Cedar around the horses because it causes lung issues. But...being out in the open like this may just be the ticket! Looking forward to the update on how this works...it might just be used at my barn as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not worried about lung issues since they are outside and they aren't cedar shavings but big wood chips.

      Delete
  2. Hope it works. If you still have sliver issues use hemlock chips next time. It is sliver free....and what they use on playgrounds. And, fyi, it is not the same hemlock that is poisonous to horses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing how well it works! It's been raining like crazy here and it's already so muddy. Ugh! I'm so not looking forward to winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. Mud is definitely one of the worst things about the winter. I'm hopeful they will work great.

      Delete
  4. good luck! they use these chips at one of my barns to fill in big muddy areas - particularly heavily used paths - but i think also in some of the pastures (especially where the xc course runs). seems to work out nicely, but i'm only there once a week so i don't know too much about it

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!