Monday, November 10, 2014

Catch Me If You Can

Apparently Benny does not like being caught. The past two Sunday's he has been difficult to catch. Last Sunday I didn't have food with me, but this week I took carrots out. Even with carrots he still played hard to get and it took me 10 or 15 minutes before I was able to catch him. While he was racing merrily away from me he slipped and fell all the way on to his side. Thankfully he got up and trotted off just fine, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

The upside of him running around is that I know he's already thoroughly warmed up when I get on and I also know he has plenty of energy. At this point Benny may have been thinking "oopsie." We had an excellent ride and I really pushed him to give me higher quality work. We've been in a nice getting to know you phase but it's time to really get in gear. He stepped up to the plate and I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses.


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thankfully I'm quite patient when it comes to this kind of stuff. Hopefully Benny will figure out that he can't shake me...

      Delete
  2. naughty run-away pony! glad he's doing so well under saddle tho :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely an annoying habit, but persistence pays off! I had a mare just like that and I would have to chase her (I usually walked, she ran) around until she was sweaty and she would finally stop to poop and let me catch her. Then I would ride her like it never happened. If she was tired, oh well, she shouldn't have used all of her energy up lol. She got over it really quickly. :D I also try to make a point to go out and catch my horses for stuff other than riding. I think that's why I haven't had that problem with Chrome. Good luck with him! I'm glad he's so much fun to ride!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to know that you are reading along!